SASH Christmas traditions that will be written in the books

Each child had the choice of a journal and pen provided by Upper School advisories. Cheyann Greirson '16

This year, pen, paper, and poetry came together to create a new Saturdays at Sacred Heart (SASH) Christmas tradition. Convent of the Sacred Heart Director of Summer Outreach Programs Mrs. Lisa Lyons-Young and Upper School Director of Campus Ministry, Community Service and Summer Enrichment Mrs. Lori Wilson led the 2015 SASH Christmas Party December 12.

Upper School advisories donated a journal and pen for the SASH Christmas event.
Cheyann Greirson ’16

SASH is a day program that offers recreational and educational activities for fourth through seventh grade children from low-income families in Fairfield, Port Chester, and Stamford. The children come to the Sacred Heart campus for this program around 20 times throughout the year.
In past years,  the kids went to the computer lab, received a game board in the parlor, and ate snacks in the student dining room. This year, the children, many of whom attend almost each of the program days throughout the year made arts and crafts, learned about creative writing, and received a journal and pen to encourage them to continue to write.  

Junior Christina Weiler led a writing workshop in an Upper School classroom to help the SASH children write poems, short stories, and letters  for their parents. Christina prompted the children to write poems about Christmas using sensory details. The children went home with personal poems about the emotions that Christmas stirs within them.

Junior Christina Weiler instructing a class of students during the SASH Christmas party writing workshop. Cheyann Greirson '16
Junior Christina Weiler instructing a class of students during the SASH Christmas party writing workshop.
Cheyann Greirson ’16

Christina’s passion for creative writing motivated her to teach the SASH kids an accessible and engaging form of expression. She hoped to encourage the children to write more outside of the classroom setting, as she does. 

“The writing workshop taught me that you can write about anything. People always wonder what they should write about, I think you should write about what you’re passionate about,” seventh grader DiLayni said. 

Sacred Heart Upper School advisories provided the Middle and Lower School students the gift of creative writing. Each child chose a journal and pen, in lieu of a toy.

“Last year we just went to the mansion and got gifts, but this year we got to do a lot more activities and it was fun doing something new,” fifth grader Daniel said about his second year attending the SASH Christmas party. 

– Cheyann Greirson, Co-News Editor