"Humans of Sacred Heart" – Roxanne Kassapidis ’19

What was the significance of Ring Day for you when you were a junior?
“Ring Day was important for me as a junior because, as it symbolizes the advancement to senior year, it made me grateful for the people around me who have made high school a positive experience.  I remember entering high school as a freshman when senior year seemed quite far away.  On Ring Day as a junior, I realized it was not so far and that every year of high school counts.  I was able to look back at my high school career and reflect on the person I have become, but also look to the future and see the various opportunities I would have as a senior.  Earning my ring gave me a sense of belonging in the Sacred Heart community, and I hope the juniors this year will feel the same way.”
Who are you going to ring and what does continuing this tradition mean to you?
“This year I will be ringing my sister Zoe who, like me, has been attending Sacred Heart since fifth grade.  It is especially important for me to ring my sister because I will be sending her off to senior year shortly before I leave for college.  I hope that her ring will remind her of me while I am away at college and also motivate her to make the most out of her last year of high school.  Continuing this tradition is important to me because it allows juniors to become more independent and have more leadership so that they are able to set a good example for the underclassmen.  This tradition is also important for seniors as they begin to spend their last moments of high school with friends and the rest of the Sacred Heart community.”
What are you most looking forward to during the Ring Day ceremony?
“While I am most looking forward to ringing my sister, I am also eager to see all the juniors, some of whom I have known for years, receive their rings as a farewell to junior year and a welcome to senior year.  I anticipate that Ring Day will be a fun ceremony for juniors and seniors as they will both begin new chapters in their lives, meaning they must take on new responsibilities.  Lastly, I look forward to the juniors and seniors having one last bonding experience before they embark on their new journeys.”
The King Street Chronicle thanks senior Roxanne Kassapidis ’19, for her contributions to “Humans of Sacred Heart.”
Photo by Christine Guido, News Editor
– Compiled by Christine Guido, News Editor