The new walkway is steps away from opening

The newest addition to the Sacred Heart Greenwich athletic facilities, a brick walkway, is almost complete.  The school expects the walkway, which leads down to the Magnetti and Sheehan fields, to be finished by the end of October.  Sacred Heart has invested a substantial amount of time and effort into strengthening their athletic program and this project is the final installment of a multi-year endeavor to improve the facilities. 

Alumna Mrs. June Dolce Heffernan ’59 and her husband Mr. Jack Heffernan contributed to the funding of the new walkway.  The Heffernan’s have been involved in the Sacred Heart community for several years and continue to improve Sacred Heart’s facilities. 

“First of all my history with Sacred Heart goes back to 1951 when I started,” Mrs. Heffernan said.  “Four daughters and five Greenwich and two Newton Country Day granddaughters play a big part in my wanting to support the school.  The fields and the pathway were an easy choice as we all love sports and school spirit is way up my list too.  Besides, two people I love, Joan Magnetti and Pam Hayes had asked me.”

The new path leading to the fields coming late fall.  Courtesy of Mrs. Pamela Juan Hayes ’64, Head of School

Ms. Elizabeth Dennison, Director of Athletics, shared the details of the walkway opening.  Predicted to finish in late fall, this addition serves as more than just an improvement for athletes.

“The renovated walkway will provide ease of access to the fields and Observatory  for our community members and create a space for our students, parents, and friends to connect on campus,” Ms. Dennison said. “This walkway is about more than just safety and ease of use; it will be a part of our school that helps to facilitate community building.”

Prior to beginning the walkway construction, Sacred Heart Greenwich enhanced its Athletic Center.  Renovated in 2015, it included new basketball, volleyball, and squash courts.  This 35,600 square-foot building also holds classrooms for health and physical education, a strength and conditioning room, a dance and yoga studio, and a sports medicine center.  The Athletic Center also has locker rooms for home and visiting teams, a press box, and administrative offices.  Sacred Heart also made enhancements to the swimming pool and turf fields.  

Whether it is through after-school sports, physical education, or health and wellness classes, the Athletic Center and sports facilities are open to all Sacred Heart students.  Looking forward, Ms. Dennison hopes Sacred Heart athletics will improve each year.

The construction process began during the summer and will finish late this fall.  Mary Dowling ’22

“My goal is to build on the traditions and successes we’ve had here at Sacred Heart, while we continue to move each program, and individual, forward,” Ms. Dennison said. 

Ms. Dennison believes that the Sacred Heart community incorporates its key values into the athletic program.

“Athletics is a place to learn valuable life skills such as teamwork, leadership, and resiliency; and we are committed to our motto of Honor-Heart-Hustle and the principle that each and every student-athlete has a role to play on their team,” Ms. Dennison said. “Those concepts coupled with working hard every day to develop sport-specific skills and physiology will ensure we build and sustain championship programs here at Sacred Heart.” 

Featured Image by Mary Dowling ’22