Winter athletes showcase their talents at FAA and NEPSAC tournaments

Emily Shull '25

Sacred Heart Greenwich student-athletes test their physical and mental toughness in end of the season tournaments.

Athletes on the Sacred Heart Greenwich swimming, diving, squash, and basketball teams have put in hours of diligence and hard work since November to prepare for their respective post-season championships, including the Fairchester Athletic Association (FAA) championship and the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) championship in February and March.  These competitions mark the season’s end and showcase a team’s unity and strength.  Swimming, diving, squash, and basketball competed in FAAs, bringing new titles to King Street, and look forward to NEPSACs.  

The Sacred Heart varsity swim team placed first in the FAA throughout the regular season with an undefeated 15-0.  They competed in the FAA championship February 11 at the Hopkins School and took home the trophy, beating cross-town rivals Greenwich Academy (GA) by a one-point difference.  The Sacred Heart varsity swim team won against GA for the first time since the 2010-2011 season.  Varsity swimming will advance to the NEPSAC Championship March 4.  Ms. Keegan Reed, Athletic Equipment and Operations Manager and Head Swim Coach, reflected on how she believes the team came together to win the FAA championship. 

“At the swimming FAAs, seeing teammates cheer you on, I think is what helped each individual to take their race to the next level and push harder than they ever thought they could,” Coach Reed said.  “Winning the FAA championship by one point showed the determination, work ethic, teamwork, and community that Sacred Heart instills in all student-athletes.” 

The Sacred Heart varsity swim team wins the FAA tournament by one point.  Courtesy of Mrs. Laurie Rousseau

Sacred Heart’s varsity diving team also finished with 15 wins and zero losses during the regular season.  This winter, varsity diving beat GA by two points on their senior day, concluding the diving careers of seniors Molly Parker, Victoria Zacco, and Delfina Gonzalez Lobo with a rewarding win.  In the FAA championship, varsity diving placed second overall.  Junior Katie O’Brien discussed how the diving team has grown throughout the season.

The FAA tournament was a good opportunity to show our growth because seven out of the eight girls on the team were able to compete,” Katie said.  “This year with our new coach, everybody has grown a lot as divers.  As a team, I feel like we were more united and have helped each other grow more.”

On the courts, Sacred Heart varsity squash concluded the season with a record of 7-2.  In addition, junior varsity (JV) A squash finished with five wins and two losses, and JV B ended with six wins and four losses.  Varsity squash was a runner-up in the FAA tournament and, at the NEPSAC Championship, sophomore Daphne Fallon placed second.  Daphne commented on the importance of a unified team in an individual sport.

“Throughout the season, our team has seen a lot of growth,” Daphne said.  “I think this year we have especially focused on improving our skills individually, which has ultimately helped us culminate in better results as a united team.  We particularly played well on senior day when we focused on winning for seniors on the team, not each individual match.”

The Sacred Heart JV basketball team wins the FAA tournament.  Courtesy of Mrs. Laurie Rousseau

Sacred Heart varsity basketball ended the season with 14 wins and seven losses.  Varsity basketball proceeded to the FAA semi-finals February 23 and lost to St. Luke’s School 47-72, ending their FAA run.  The varsity team will continue to the NEPSAC championship March 4 in the quarterfinal game against Kent School.  Additionally, the JV basketball team earned first place in their FAA bracket in both the regular and post-season and remains undefeated. 

As winter sports come to a close, Mrs. Laurie Rousseau, Director of Athletics, spoke of what she hopes all Sacred Heart student-athletes will gain from competing in both the regular season and the FAA championships.  Mrs. Rousseau examines the effect athletics can have on an individual’s personal growth. 

“With each FAA championship, I hope that our student-athletes will gain more confidence so that they know how to handle the challenges they are faced with,” Mrs. Rousseau said.  “I think athletics serves as a way to develop confidence and build character.  I hope the FAA championships are another opportunity for this.”

Featured Image by Emily Shull ’25