Reflecting on the importance of access to education for all

Sacred+Heart+Greenwich+honors+the+mission+of+International+Day+of+Education+through+its+support+of+Ugandan+sister+schools.+

Madison Hart '24

Sacred Heart Greenwich honors the mission of International Day of Education through its support of Ugandan sister schools.

The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) observed the International Day of Education January 24.  This day recognizes the role of education in promoting global peace and sustainable development, according to unesco.com.  In 2022, UNGA emphasizes that education is a fundamental need for all citizens.  Mrs. Jillian Bozzi, Upper School History Teacher, commented on the International Day of Education as a teacher in an all-female institution. 

Students at St. Charles Senior Secondary School Kalungu take part in a reading discussion.  Courtesy of Menard Family Foundation

The International Day of Education raises awareness of the importance of education for every generation.  It also teaches children the value of hard work and personal growth.  However, many children around the world do not have access to primary education.  There are 258 million children worldwide who do not attend school and 617 million children cannot read or do basic math, according to unesco.com.  

Each year, there is a theme for the International Day of Education.  This year’s theme is “changing course, transforming education,” according to internationaleventday.com.  The goal of the theme is to strengthen and celebrate the revival of education. 

The 2022 International Day of Education focused on necessary changes to build a more sustainable, inclusive, and peaceful future.  It sparked discussion amongst educators and world leaders on how to strengthen public education and make schools more accessible to children across the globe.  Other topics of conversation included how to better support teachers and how to teach children about the importance of protecting the environment. 

As a member of a global education network, Sacred Heart Greenwich advocates for worldwide access to education.  The school community has provided an education for 762 girls who attend its sister schools in Uganda, Sacred Heart Primary School in Kyamsansala (SHPS) and St. Charles Lwanga Girls Training Center Kalungu (GTC).  Each student lives on the campus of their respective schools where they study English, science, history, geography, mathematics, and religion.  Students also engage in recreational activities such as dancing, singing, acting, gardening, and drumming.  The network schools in Uganda carry out Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne’s mission of providing underprivileged girls with an education.  Through its collaboration with GTC and SHPS, Sacred Heart maintains its commitment to service and social responsibility. 

Students participate in the 2018 fundraiser for Sacred Heart Network schools in Uganda. Courtesy of Ms. Celia Daigle ’20

The Upper School community supports both of its sister schools in Uganda through fundraisers.  Every year, Sacred Heart hosts the Run for Uganda and Jump Rope for Uganda.  In addition to raising funds for GTC and SHPS, these events also promote awareness about women’s education in Africa. 

Mrs. Bozzi discussed how the International Day of Education recognizes that many children lack access to education.   

“Freedoms that we take for granted in the United States such as cultural identity, religion, and gender are just the things that keep millions of children unable to access primary education across the world,” Mrs. Bozzi said.  “I think what resonates the most with me on International Day of Education is how lucky I am to have been educated the way I was, the opportunities that were afforded to me, and that I get to do what I love each day and try not to take it for granted.”

Featured Image by Madison Hart ’24