King Street Chronicle

“Humans of the Sacred Heart” – Martina Bernal ’23

What is your favorite aspect of the Barat Foundation?

“My favorite aspect of the Barat Foundation would have to be how it enables Sacred Heart to aid communities beyond local grounds with grants to supply real needs.  The fact that it is student-run allows many new organizations to receive aid since students have links to organizations the school may have never heard of.  For example, by connecting my school to international organizations for the first time, like WithMyOwnTwoHands, Fundacion Nuestro Hogar, Fundacion Mi Lucha, and more, I feel as though I somewhat transformed the face and purpose of Barat from a locally based foundation to an international organization.”

What motivated you to apply for a position on the Barat Foundation’s Executive Board?

“What motivated me to be part of Barat’s Executive Board was the idea that I could really make an impact.  To me, basic human needs need to be met in places beyond Connecticut and New York.  I will continue to do what I can to serve struggling international communities this year with my elected role as Chair of Service.”

Why do you think incoming freshmen and sophomores should apply to be members of the Barat Foundation?

“I think incoming freshmen and sophomores should see Barat as an opportunity to make a change in a cause they care about.  This philanthropic organization inspires real difference and is more than just a club.  I have loved being a part of Barat and hope to do something similar in college.”

The King Street Chronicle thanks senior Martina Bernal ’23 for her contributions to “Humans of Sacred Heart.”