“Humans of the Sacred Heart” – Mr. David Pisani and Ms. Leah Principe

Mr. David Pisani, Broadcast Journalism Instructor:

What are the most exciting factors that go into preparing for the annual Film Festival?

“My favorite part of preparing for the annual Film Festival is screening all of the student submissions.  The students create films with a wide variety of story concepts, themes, and visual styles.  To watch 70+ films each year and see all of the different perspectives is inspiring.  The rehearsal process in the theater is also exciting.  Observing the Film Festival hosts begin rehearsing in the winter, reading from a script to presenting a polished performance to a live audience of 400 people on Film Festival night, makes the evening very exciting.”

How do Upper School students benefit from participating in the Film Festival?

“Upper School students benefit from participating in the Film Festival in multiple ways.  One way is through the building of community.  The Film Festival is a large undertaking, and freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors all work in coordination to make the night a special experience for each other and for the audience.  Additionally, having a film screened at the Film Festival serves as a goal for students to strive for.  First-year students see the fantastic work of students with three or four years of experience and make it a goal to create films at that level.  Getting selected for the festival is a great achievement that students are very proud of.”

What are some of the ways students can express themselves creatively through filmmaking?

“Students are able to express their ideas and creative visions by producing a variety of films in media classes.  From Public Service Announcements to documentaries to experimental films to narrative stories, students are given ample room to come up with their own concepts and develop those ideas into engaging cinematic films.  In addition to the wide variety of projects assigned each year, all filmmaking classes have a free choice unit where students are able to choose any type of film and story concept and execute their creative vision.  Students are always encouraged to try something new and think outside the box.”

Ms. Leah Principe, Media Studies Assistant Teacher:

“I think some of the most exciting factors that go into preparing for the annual film festival are the marketing and graphic design planning, decorations, and the host’s role in creating an entertaining script.  When it comes to marketing and graphic design planning, students can collaborate and present their ideas, and from there, we try to decide on what designs would work best.  Another exciting part is planning the decorations for the evening.  Students get to take the theme and pick what decorations will best showcase the theme.  The host’s role is a very important and exciting role.  Starting in September, they meet and decide on the theme, and then start planning out the opening video, which sets up the storyline for the night of the festival.  This step usually includes a surprise appearance from a beloved Sacred Heart faculty member, which is always a special touch.  The whole film festival team has worked very hard, from the hosts to the selection committee members, to the marketing team and beyond.  We are so excited to show you all the hard work we’ve been putting in since September.”

“Upper School students get to take on major leadership roles by coordinating the film festival.  We have roles that span marketing, video, decoration planning, and presenter roles, to name a few.  Students get a chance to collaborate with their classmates and exchange ideas to make sure the evening will be enjoyable and entertaining for all the guests in attendance.  Students get to showcase their hard work from the year on a big stage with a packed audience of about 400 people.”

“Students can express themselves in several ways through filmmaking, which is why I think it’s such a unique and powerful tool.  Students can showcase their creativity and ideas by making Public Service Announcements, documentaries, creative films, experimental films, animation, and any other type of media they desire.  Students can focus on a specific area that interests them and dive deep into exploring it.  Some students like to focus on music, while others focus on character or editing.  Either way, students get to decide how to best represent what they’re envisioning.  They can translate what ideas they may have in their head and be able to visually represent them through film, which is a wonderful process to see play out.”

The King Street Chronicle thanks Mr. David Pisani, Broadcast Journalism Instructor, and Ms. Leah Principe, Media Studies Assistant Teacher, for their contributions to “Humans of Sacred Heart.”