Showcasing student creativity at the All-School Art Show

Avery Kim '24

The All-School Art Show celebrates a year of artistic accomplishment.

After a year of painting, designing, and collaging, Sacred Heart Greenwich student artists took to the halls to display their creations.  Visitors at the fifth annual All-School Art Show strolled the building April 27 from 3 to 6 p.m. and observed work from the Barat Center, the Advanced Placement (AP) Art and Design classes, and everything in between.  As Lower School docents offered tours, Upper Schoolers played piano music and managed the first ever student art sale.  Junior Jaimie Alva, member of the Studio Art Club and Drawing and Painting II Honors student, and Mr. Jonathan Peck, Upper School Art and Design Teacher and faculty mentor of the Studio Art Club, discussed the value of art and exhibitions.

Visitors examine the work of AP Art and Design students.  Avery Kim ’24

Jaimie’s work in the show included a charcoal self-portrait, an acrylic collage, and a still-life line drawing.  She described the passion and self-discovery she finds while creating visual art.

“I enjoy art because it allows me to use my creativity to think outside the box,” Jaimie said.  “When I create art, I feel an overwhelming sense of curiosity.  This curiosity is unrestricted and allows me to discover myself and the world around me.”

The Cora E. McLaughlin Gallery displayed artwork from seniors in AP Art and Design and Advanced Portfolio.  Across the divisions, students presented the results of their year-long efforts for their peers and families.  Mr. Peck elaborated upon the power of an audience, quoting Mr. Andy Warhol, who asked, “Isn’t life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?”

What I believe [Mr. Warhol] is saying in terms of art is that the meaning of images, or artwork generally, is contingent upon the audience or individual viewing it,” Mr. Peck said.  “In other words, art is subjective, and it’s always enlightening to share your work with others and find out what their interpretations and reactions are.  Often they’re surprising and offer constructive insights to reflect on.  This show, like all art shows, is an opportunity to share and appreciate the work everyone has been doing.  What we do in the visual art department is vibrant and rigorous, however, the audience who appreciates that work on a regular basis is limited.  It’s great to have the opportunity to take some of our work out of the classroom and engage in an array of conversations about art with the wider school community.”

This year, Mr. Peck’s students engaged in drawing, painting, and three-dimensional design.  They applied techniques including line, perspective, and shadow, while learning patience, persistence, and how to offer and receive constructive feedback.  Mr. Peck shared the importance of celebrating and discussing visual art. 

“Art is all around us,” Mr. Peck said.  “However, it is often overlooked.  It can easily become relegated to decorative elements used to enliven interior spaces, but when we take a moment to highlight artwork we can appreciate it for its intellectual, philosophical, or emotional merits.  One of art’s major functions, apart from its visual properties and appeal, is to spark conversation.  Simple questions about process and execution can easily lead to rich dialogs about content and intention.  Visual art is not only for visual consumption, it is a tool for communication and expression.  Art is a language that everyone can speak.  The best way to bring people into the conversation is to have moments of celebration such as this show.”

At the inaugural student art sale, the Studio Art Club promotes creativity at Sacred Heart Greenwich and beyond.  Avery Kim ’24

In Hayes Hall, the Studio Art Club managed an art sale for charity.  After the club’s founding in September 2022 with the goal of promoting the arts both on and beyond King Street, its members began to plan for the art sale.  They created artwork to sell, including watercolor landscapes, acrylic paintings, and sticker designs.  Freshmen studying Foundations of Art designed and contributed handmade ceramic jewelry.  All proceeds went to Creative Art Works, a non-profit organization that provides arts programming to New York City youth.  

For the art sale, Jaimie created beaded bracelets and helped manage transactions.  She communicated her hope that the club continues to share its creativity with the wider artistic community.  Mr. Peck spoke to the value of art and affirmed the lessons that students can learn from the art sale.  

“Art is filled with value,” Mr. Peck said.  “There is the time and energy one puts into crafting a work of art, and there is also the research and thoughtfulness that goes into conceiving a work of art.  Young artists typically devalue or ignore the monetary aspect of their work.  It is an important exercise to consider putting a monetary value on the work you’ve made.  Your time, your thoughts, your insights, and reflections, are some of your most valuable assets.  Young artists should begin to become comfortable with acknowledging that their work has value and that it is ok to put a price on that value.  Doing that within the context of school and having the proceeds go towards a charitable organization is a great way to begin that process.  In this way, the money feels less self-serving, which may encourage students to be more objective about the value they put on their work.”

Featured Image by Avery Kim ’24