"Framing our Future: Today, Tomorrow and Forever" capital campaign launched

The expanded Student Dining Room's indoor/outdoor fireplace is sure to spark community building. Courtesy of cshct.org
The expanded Student Dining Room’s indoor/outdoor fireplace is sure to spark community building.
Courtesy of cshct.org

Convent of the Sacred Heart announced the launch of its $25.5 million dollar capital campaign to construct and renovate essential campus facilities January 24, 2014. The campaign, entitled “Framing our Future: Today, Tomorrow and Forever,” will continue the legacy of a quintessential Sacred Heart education.
“Our goal is to physically transform our campus by creating spaces that encourage the values of faith, character, community, courage, sportsmanship, teamwork, leadership, critical reading and reflection,” Head of School Pamela Juan Hayes ‘64 said.
Led by trustees Neil Augstine and Douglas Mellert, the campaign will provide Sacred Heart with new and improved environments for academics, arts, athletics, and community building.
“We will enhance an already vibrant and successful athletic program and create both new and expanded community spaces for our students,” Mr. Mellert said.
The current single court gymnasium, built in 1990, will soon be abutted by a two-story, state-of-the-art athletic complex. Six squash courts, two additional full-size basketball courts, a dance studio, and an extensive fitness room are among the plans for the building.  The new space will allow students to grow and develop as athletes.
Goal Five of the Sacred Heart community, “the building of community as a Christian value,” will be fostered in the renovated Dining Room and new Outdoor Commons Area. 

This picture of the new Student Dining Room was met by gleeful applause during the presentation to students. Courtesy of cshct. org
This picture of the new Student Dining Room was met by gleeful applause during the presentation to students.
Courtesy of cshct. org

The current Student Dining Room, built in 1993, can no longer comfortably hold the more than 900 students, faculty, and staff that dine there everyday. This cramped and uncomfortable atmosphere will be amended in the renovated building. The space will include an indoor/outdoor fireplace, expanded serving stations, and multitudes of space for eating and socializing. A revamped kitchen will also allow the school to provide students with a greater range of nutritious foods.
“The new dining area sounds like it will be amazing. The current space gets very crowded, but it seems like that problem will be resolved, allowing everyone to socialize adequately,” junior Concetta Brusco said.
The proposed Outdoor Commons Area will be located between the new athletic center and the main school buildings. It will be an area where students can gather throughout the day to socialize in a relaxed setting. An amphitheater will also be constructed in this area, creating an outdoor classroom.
“What I appreciate most about the campaign is that it aims for a continuation of the sense of strong community on campus by creating more spaces where students and teachers can better thrive and continue to develop their connections with others, whether through better athletic facilities, a larger cafeteria, or more spaces to enjoy the outdoors,” Upper School English Teacher Dr. Cristina Baptista said.
In addition to the three major components of the plan, fifty parking spaces will be created for visitors, faculty, and staff. These spaces will relieve much of the traffic flow throughout the campus.
The “Framing Our Future” campaign has already collected $13 million from generous donors. The pace of the campaign will depend on the donations received.
“It is wonderful to see this exciting expansion of our Sacred Heart campus finally become a reality, and to be witness to the building of a legacy for the current and future generations of CSH students,” Grade 11 captain of the Campaign Parent Committee Jayne Isford said.
Construction will begin May 2014. In the meantime, members of the Sacred Heart community eagerly anticipate the unveiling of the new facilities for the 2015-2016 school year.