Gone from the school not from the Heart

The time-honored tradition of Gone from the school, not from the Heart continues for another year. As practice dictates, the first to be featured are last year’s King Street Chronicle management team.
Jane Gerstner
Dartmouth College ‘18jane pic
Editor-in-Chief of King Street Chronicle
What is your favorite part of college?
College has been quite a whirlwind so far, but in the best way possible. I think what I love most about it overall is the flexibility accompanied by the diversity of opportunity. Taking fewer classes at a time allows you to really immerse yourself in the material, and having just one or two classes per day enables you to use time to your advantage. It is a test of your time-management skills, but it also grants you a lot of independence, making it super fulfilling when you ultimately stay on top of your work while also finding time to socialize, exercise, do extracurricular activities, etc.
What do you miss most about Sacred Heart?
While Dartmouth is a pretty tight-knit community, I do really miss that familial closeness that Sacred Heart fosters. The Convent of the Sacred Heart community provides a truly unique support system that is difficult to find anywhere else. I miss the sisterhood; I miss feeling like I don’t have to wear makeup, and I especially miss having strong bonds with faculty and staff. While my classes this term were small and I really liked my professors, it was a challenge to develop the same kind of close relationship with them as I had with so many of my teachers at Sacred Heart. For example, during week eight of the term, one of my professors decided to ask us all what we were majoring in or thinking about majoring in because it had “occurred to him that he didn’t even know.” Please cherish the special connections you have at Sacred Heart, because while you’ll find glimmers of them in college, nothing quite compares.
Do you keep in touch with your Sacred Heart friends?
I do! I FaceTime with some of them regularly and text others often. A lot of girls still occasionally post in our Class of 2014 Facebook page, which I love. I love being able to see what’s going on in their lives. Everyone’s been pretty busy with her own inaugural college experiences, but I’m excited to catch up and pick up where we left off over vacation!
What activities are you involved in at college?
Since my school is on trimesters, which makes classes extremely fast-paced, I really wanted to just get my feet wet and adjust to everything during my first term. I was concerned about being able to manage my time, so I didn’t go too crazy with joining clubs (despite all of the email lists I put myself on and flyers I picked up during the club fair). That said, I have more or less been participating in Street Soul, which is a no audition, no experience required hip-hop dance group on campus, and that has been so much fun. I never thought I would be doing something like dancing in college, which is a testament to how many different opportunities are available to you and how empowered you feel to try new things. I definitely want to do something service-related next term, and have also been thinking about writing for one of Dartmouth’s various student publications. There’s just such a wide range of things you can do, it’s been hard to decide!
What is an important item to bring to college?
I would definitely suggest bringing a couple of bowls/Tupperware and utensils so that you have the option of eating in your room. As someone who must often confront the misfortunes of early classes and arctic weather, it is really nice to be able to just eat breakfast in my room rather than coordinating a long excursion to the dining hall. Also, bring a sponge, it’ll make washing dishes so much easier.
Pro tip (for those who don’t have sinks in their room): if you ever feel, amidst a stressful week, like washing out the bowl you just used (okay, maybe you ate cereal out of it yesterday morning, but it’s only been sitting there for like, a day, so it’s not that gross! ….fine, it is…) is too draining of a task, and you just cannot bring yourself to do it, try bringing it with you when you shower. I know it sounds weird, but if you’ve already got soap and water and you don’t have to make a specific trip to the bathroom just to wash it, it feels like less of a chore. Hitting two hygienic birds with one stone!
Bianca Chiappelloni
Washington and Lee University ‘18
Video Content Editor of King Street Chronicle10815915_1009782969048269_953171020_n
What is your favorite part of college?

My favorite part of college is having the freedom to make my own schedule. It really is your responsibility to balance what you do in your free time, and it is awesome how many different activities there are for you to choose from. For example, one weeknight there was a full moon and I got to go paddling down the Maury River at midnight with the Outing Club along with friends.
I miss being able to wear sweatshirts and leggings on a daily basis. Typically everyone on campus gets dressed up for class unless they are going straight to the gym afterwards. As much as I love wearing dresses and nice sweaters, there are just some days I wish I could put in less effort without my laziness being noticeable.
Throughout my entire senior year my closest friends and I would talk about how we would video chat and call each other at least once a week. Just a heads up to seniors now, that is a physically impossible promise to keep. You all have different schedules, and are constantly rushing from club meetings, sports practices, extra credit night lectures and social events, and it is really hard to find mutual free time. That being said, I still am able to call a handful of my friends every few weeks or so, and usually when we do make the time to facetime or call, it will be a really, really long conversation. We also have a huge group chat that we text in a lot. Currently that group is filled with messages about meeting up over Thanksgiving, which is making me really excited to see all my CSH friends again.
A lot of the activities I am interested in are opened up to freshman at the start of winter term, so I am currently in the unofficial rush process for a sorority, as well as filling out applications for Student Admissions, and to be a State Chair for Washington and Lee’s Mock Convention. Every presidential election, Washington and Lee holds a convention for the party out of office. As state chair I would be responsible for researching political trends of my state in order to predict candidates for 2016.
I highly recommend bringing a drying rack. A drying rack comes in handy with your more delicate clothing. The dryers at college, or at least at W&L, are a bit more industrial than my dryer at home, and with nicer clothing it isn’t good to have them in a burning hot machine that tosses them around very powerfully.
Madi Sirabella
Elon University ‘18
Co-Sports and Health Editor of King Street Chroniclemadi pic
What is your favorite part of college?
My favorite part of college is having the opportunity to be so independent.
I miss so many of the little things I took for granted. I really miss having a uniform because I didn’t have to think about what I was wearing. I also miss green and white activities and Congé.
I keep in touch with all my friends. We try and video chat or FaceTime as often as possible.
I am playing club basketball, and am involved in an Autism Speaks club. I also have joined Elon University’s Television Network.
The most important item to bring to college is a lot of extra clothes because I always feel like I am running out.
– Compiled by Katie Nail, News Editor