Sacred Heart makes history this fall season

Sacred Heart Greenwich’s fall varsity teams ended the 2017 season earning multiple historic titles, such as field hockey and cross country Fairchester Athletic Association (FAA) champions. 

The cross country team ended its regular season Tuesday, October 31, receiving an undefeated title for the first time in history at the final FAA championship meet at Waveny Park in New Canaan, Connecticut. Sacred Heart athletes finished among the top runners, scoring a total of 44 points and winning the race. Freshman Grace Lillis beat the course’s longstanding record, finishing the 3.11-mile course in 19 minutes and 22.3 seconds. She also claimed the individual girls’ FAA championship title.

Sacred Heart varsity cross country co-captains Barbara Jones ’18 and Maggy Wolanske ’18 holding the winning trophy at the FAA championship.
Karina Badey ’19

Senior varsity cross country co-captain Barbara Jones reflects on her team’s accomplishments and how she hopes they improve in the seasons to come.

“Halfway through the season, when we started to see how our efforts were paying off in our meets, we began to realize that we actually had a shot at remaining undefeated and maybe even winning the championships,” Barbara said. “My co-captain Maggy [Wolanske] would often say ‘we are not leaving without the gold!’ Everyone worked so hard and wanted it, so we ultimately got it.” 

Following the final FAA race, the cross country team participated in the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Division II championship at Berkshire School November 11, where Grace set a new Sacred Heart record, finishing the race in 19 minutes and 18 seconds. Mackenzie Jordan ’17 held the previous NEPSAC Sacred Heart record, finishing the course in 19 minutes and 19 seconds. Sacred Heart concluded the season placing tenth out of 16 teams in New England. 

Senior co-captain Maggy Wolanske competed in the race with juniors Grace Flanagan, Karina Badey, Gabby Davitch, Ella Holl, Mary Anne Gallagher, and freshman Grace Lillis.

The senior co-captains and head coach Ms. Suzanne Myette, along with assistant coaches Ms. Kelsey Myette, Ms. Meron Simon, and Ms. Lindsay Thompson guided the team to its many achievements. 

Sacred Heart’s field hockey team also experienced success this fall. Sacred Heart varsity field hockey competed at Greenwich Academy in the final FAA championship game Friday, November 10. The sidelines were filled with fans from both Greenwich Academy and Sacred Heart, even in the brisk weather conditions.

With a final score of 2-1, Sacred Heart defeated Greenwich Academy in overtime. After the defeat, Sacred Heart earned the title of FAA field hockey champions. Greenwich Academy had held this title for 34 years, since the founding of the FAA’s.

Ryan Smith ’19 hitting the ball towards Greenwich Academy goalie Isabella Santucci ’19 during the FAA Championship. 
Courtesy of Ms. Christie Allen

Freshman Mary Grace Farrell assisted Sophomore Sydney Gallop‘s first goal with 25 minutes left in the first half. Tying the game, Greenwich Academy scored its only goal with 17 minutes and 19 seconds remaining before half-time. Sacred Heart junior Ryan Smith made the game-winning goal with an assist from freshman Beth Yeager. She scored with four minutes and five seconds left in overtime.

Ryan enjoyed the championship because her team came out strong and maintained intensity throughout the game. 

“Now that the Sacred Heart field hockey team has won the FAA championship, a new chapter has begun for the program. Our amazing coaches and captains led us through this unbelievable season, and I am looking forward to next year,” Ryan said.

After the field hockey game Friday, the Sacred Heart volleyball team traveled to King School to compete in the FAA championship as well.

King started off the game taking a lead in the first set with a score of 25 to 12. King won the second set with a score of 27 to 25. In the final set, Sacred Heart remained focused until the final point. However, King won the set with a score of 24 to 26, winning the championship title.

Taking second place in the FAA championship, the volleyball team was eligible to compete in the NEPSAC Quarterfinals game Wednesday, November 15 at Choate Rosemary Hall. Sacred Heart volleyball lost to Choate in all three sets. In the first set, Choate beat Sacred Heart with a score of 21 to 25. In the second set Choate continued their lead with a score of 13 to 25. Finally, in the last set Choate won with a final score of 11 to 25.

Field hockey also participated in the NEPSAC tournament November 15 at the Pomfret School against Phillips Academy Andover where they lost five to one. Beth Yeager scored Sacred Heart’s only goal during the first half.

Laura Holland ’18 spikes the ball against King School during the FAA championship.
Courtesy of kingschoolct.org

Although Sacred Heart’s varsity soccer team did not make it to the FAA finals, it finished the season with nine wins and nine losses. The team traveled to Hopkins School for the semi-final FAA game Wednesday November 8. Sacred Heart scored two goals, and Hopkins scored three, ultimately resulting in a win for Hopkins.

In the beginning of the game, Hopkins scored the first goal but Sacred Heart freshmen Izzy Devita and Fernanda Serna scored two goals immediately after. With ten minutes left in the second half, Hopkins scored, making the score two to two. In the last two minutes of the game, Hopkins scored the final goal and won the semi-finals. 

Senior varsity soccer co-captain Christina DeConcini enjoyed bonding with the underclassman this year while also seeing the skills of the team improve throughout the season.

“Our team is really motivated in terms of improving their technical skills both in and out of practice, and this dedication really shines in games and our performance compared to last year,” Christina said. “I hope that the team stays motivated but also has fun in the upcoming seasons.”