Students honor the bicentennial of Sacred Heart education in America 

Sacred Heart Greenwich students participated in the Sacred Heart Global Network Day of Service by volunteering at Don Bosco Community Center Saturday, September 15.  Students were able to get hands-on experience helping the community by participating in the Literacy and the Painting Projects.  All Sacred Heart schools around the world participated in the day of service “to celebrate the life and legacy of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne,” according to cshgreenwich.org.

St. Rose Philippine Duchesne first arrived in the United States in 1818 and opened the Academy of the Sacred Heart in present-day St. Charles, Missouri, according to ash1818.org.  This year marks 200 years of Sacred Heart education in the United States. 

Volunteers help sort donations in the food pantry at Don Bosco Community Center.  Courtesy of Ms. Rachel Zurheide

Sacred Heart schools all over the world are celebrating the bicentennial of Sacred Heart education in the United States.  In addition to participating in the Global Day of Service, the Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles held a reenactment of St. Rose Philippine’s arrival in the United States, according to ash1818.org.

At Sacred Heart Greenwich, the Community Service Club organized a food drive, September 13.  Students delivered the donations to Don Bosco as a part of their participation in the service.  

Don Bosco Community Center is an organization located in Port Chester, New York.  The center offers programs to community members of all ages, including literacy programs, summer camps, a soup kitchen, and food pantry, according to donboscocenter.org.

Senior Lorraine Rinaldi, one of the Community Service Club heads, shared her thoughts on the significance of the Global Network day of Service.

“It is crucial to help others in your community,” Lorraine said.  “I really appreciate how not only our Sacred Heart schools but all [Sacred Heart schools] around the world encourage it.”

At Don Bosco Community Center, Sacred Heart students sorted food in the pantry, helped in the soup kitchen, and organized games with the children of the Don Bosco community.  Students also helped with the Painting Project, creating banners that advertise the work that volunteers do at Don Bosco.

Sacred Heart Greenwich students and parents help to organize many of the events in honor of Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne. Christine Guido ’20

With the help of funding from the Boys & Girls Club, Sacred Heart students helped Don Bosco Community Center with their Literacy Project.  The project is a read-aloud program in which the volunteers read to the participating children, and the children then read to the volunteers.  Mrs. Kerry Bader, Upper School Theology Teacher and Director of Upper School Social Justice and Service, described how the purpose of the program is to help children improve their reading and communication skills in English.

“[The Literacy Project] helps the children because many of them come from households where their parents are unable or uncomfortable reading in English,” Mrs. Bader said.  “The project helps to build a number of skills including diction, comprehension, and active listening.”

Lorraine said that she is eager to continue her hard work and commitment to the Community Service Club.  Mrs. Bader and the previous club heads chose Lorraine and seniors Maggie Shea and Olivia Batal to be the club heads this year.  Lorraine explained why she is honored and enthusiastic to have the opportunity to lead the club this year. 

“Seeing other students become more enthusiastic and involved in community service programs because of our club’s efforts is extremely gratifying for me,” Lorraine said.  “[Maggie, Olivia, and I] were eager to continue the great work and to become more committed [to] community service.”

Featured image by Sydney Kim ’20