Guide to Greenwich – Bagels

January 31, 2019

For this edition of Guide to Greenwich, I ventured down King Street and throughout Greenwich and the local areas to review different bagel stores to find the best “New York bagel” near campus. 

G*Ville Deli, Glenville, CT

Daisy Steinthal ’19

My first stop was G*Ville Deli, located on Glenville Street.  The family-run deli is about a seven-minute drive from Sacred Heart Greenwich.  G*Ville boasts their fresh bagels, hand-rolled and made daily.  The bustling atmosphere of the corner store, as students from various schools shuffled in and out to pick up their daily breakfast, spoke to the popularity of the food and convenience of the location.  I chose to order a plain bagel with cream cheese for $2.50.

G*Ville’s plain bagel with cream cheese is a staple breakfast food.
Daisy Steinthal ’19

The traditional bagel matched the comfortable atmosphere of the deli.  It had the essential New York bagel flavor and texture.  They toasted the bagel which gave it a pleasantly crisp outside to balance the doughy inside.  I completed the breakfast with a vanilla iced coffee and made my way out to continue the search.

Lenny’s Bagels, Rye Brook, NY

Daisy Steinthal ’19

Next up was Lenny’s Bagels, located a little further from campus in the Rye Ridge shopping center.  When I entered Lenny’s, the staff welcomed me with smiles into the bright atmosphere.  A landmark establishment in the town, Lenny’s has been serving their bagels throughout Westchester County for 25 years, according to lennysbagels.com

Lenny’s strawberry cream cheese bagel is a nice mix of fruity and rich flavors.
Daisy Steinthal ’19

After looking through the array of bagels and flavored cream cheeses, I decided to try a plain bagel with strawberry cream cheese for $2.80.  The bagel was fresh, and the sweet, fruity flavoring added a nice balance to the rich cream cheese.  However, the bagel was too lightly toasted.  A darker toast would have nicely added to the texture of the meal.

Hand Rolled Bagels, Rye, NY
Lastly, I traveled to Hand Rolled Bagels, located just off Purchase Street in Rye, New York.  Hand Rolled is a family-owned chain that has served fresh bagels to their community for over 20 years. When I went in to get my breakfast, students, parents, and office workers alike filled the downstairs deli section as they made their regular stop before school or work. 

Daisy Steinthal ’19

The Rye location is a small yet cozy shop with seating available in an upstairs loft.  I decided to order one of their signature bagels: a multi-colored rainbow swirl bagel with butter for $2.73.  This bright treat was a fun take on a classic plain-flavor profile.  The Hand Rolled team attributes their sought after taste to premium ingredients: New York City water, and a secret family recipe. 

Handrolled’s rainbow bagel brings a new twist to a classic treat.
Daisy Steinthal ’19

Winner:
After trying all of the delicious bagels, the winner of this edition of Guide to Greenwich is Hand Rolled Bagels.  The rainbow bagel perfectly mixes a classic flavor with a colorful twisted exterior.  The cozy atmosphere and family-centered store added to the experience, and the constant flow of regulars proved Hand Rolled a staple spot for this well-loved treat. 

Featured Image by Daisy Steinthal ’19

Comments (0)

All King Street Chronicle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• V

Victoria AllenJan 31, 2019 at 3:11 pm

Another good place is Mt Kisco Smokehouse’s store on Mason Street in Greenwich. And of course, the have the smoked salmon, various cream cheese spreads, etc.

Reply