"Humans of Sacred Heart" – Megan Farrell ’20

How many years have you done the service trip to New Orleans, and what prompted you to participate in the first place?
“This is my second year participating in the service trip to New Orleans.  I first decided to apply for the trip in October of 2017 because I was interested in understanding the effects of [Hurricane] Katrina and the humanitarian relief efforts in New Orleans.  Additionally, since I was not old enough to comprehend the magnitude and devastation that was caused by Hurricane Katrina when it occurred, I wanted to travel to New Orleans to understand what happened as well as help those affected.”
What was your most memorable moment from this years’ trip, and why?
“One of my most memorable moments from this years’ service trip was during the first day of our work.  The group and I were working on a house when, about halfway through the morning, a young lady named Gloria showed up to the property.  Gloria was the sister of Deloris, whose house was affected by the flooding after Katrina. Gloria explained to our group that once the flood hit them, she and her family members had to grab their kids to try to get to safety.  She emphasized that they were forced to leave behind their belongings to get on a bus that would take them to a shelter. Gloria’s story helped our group understand what she and her family went through and how our work was helping.”
What advice do you have for students who are considering doing the service trip next year?
“My advice for students who are interested in applying for the service trip is to understand the impact that restoring a house will have on the homeowner.  A house is not only one of the most expensive things a person buys in his or her life, but it is also the most vital thing a person needs to survive. The work that you do in New Orleans will provide a lasting impact on the families and homeowners whose homes you help build.  It is a truly amazing experience that I would highly recommend.”
The King Street Chronicle thanks junior Megan Farrell ’20, for her contributions to “Humans of Sacred Heart.”
Photo by Christine Guido, News Editor
– Compiled by Christine Guido, News Editor