"Humans of Sacred Heart" – Kayla Malcolm-Joseph ’22

Why did you choose to attend the Civil Rights Pilgrimage?
“I have always wanted to experience and learn about Civil Rights history outside of a textbook because textbooks don’t go into detail about the people who worked behind the scenes of the movement.  I was able to stand in the places where such influential people once stood and get a glimpse into their daily lives.”
What was your favorite memory from the trip, and why?
“On the last night of our pilgrimage, we were given the opportunity to meet Reena Evers-Everett, the daughter of the late Medgar Evers.  Medgar Evers was a Civil Rights activist from Mississippi who was shot and killed outside of his home with his children inside.  Meeting Reena and hearing her stories helped me understand that these names that we come across in textbooks, especially those of whom were murdered, had lives as well.”
What did you learn on the trip, and why was it significant to you?

“One of the main things I took away from this trip was how we can never forget history if we want to form a better future.  We still have a long way to go before the world can be a perfect place for everyone, but if we look back to impactful people and strategies from the past and apply it to the world now, we can make steady progress.”
The King Street Chronicle thanks freshman Kayla Malcolm-Joseph ’22, for her contributions to “Humans of Sacred Heart.”
Photo by Christine Guido, News Editor
– Compiled by Christine Guido, News Editor