Gone from the school not from the Heart: Executive Board edition

October 1, 2019

The time-honored tradition of “Gone from the school, not from the Heart” continues in commemorating the legacy of the King Street Chronicle’s previous editors.  This year, the first to be featured are the members of the 2018-2019 executive board

Karina Badey:

University of Wisconsin-Madison Class of 2023

Co-Editor-in-Chief of the King Street Chronicle

Karina Badey ‘19 studying with her friends at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  Courtesy of Karina Badey ‘19

What is your major and what do you hope to accomplish with it after college?

“I am planning on applying to the Journalism school here at the University of Wisconsin-Madison this spring.  I’m not sure exactly what my major will be, but so far I am loving my Journalism201 class and my Communication Arts class.  Being at a school that is so big on athletics has drawn my attention to sports broadcast journalism and sports communications, on which I will start taking classes next semester.  Since I am not exactly sure of which pathway I am taking in the Journalism field, I do not know my plans for after college.”

Are you participating in any journalistic activities in college?

“I have already joined a “Women in Communications” club which I am very excited about.  The club focuses on areas such as Journalism, Marketing, Communications, and more.  I am also planning on joining one of the student-run papers such as The Daily Cardinal.”

A love for knowledge is so important in college…

— Karina Badey '19

How did Sacred Heart prepare you for college?

“Sacred Heart prepared me for college in so many ways, specifically socially and academically.  Being part of such a small class drew me to become friends, if not just friendly, with each girl in my grade.  I was still able to bond and connect with girls who did not necessarily share the same interests as me.  I think that this is very important in college because, even though everybody finds their group of people, it is great to have as many friends as you can in a big and overwhelming environment.  Sacred Heart also taught me that education is priceless and it is one of the most valued things in my life.  My teachers made me an eager learner and passionate student which has carried over with me into my college career.  A love for knowledge is so important in college as it pushes me to work hard and put my all into each assignment.”

Daisy Steinthal:

Georgetown University Class of 2023

Daisy Steinthal ‘19 poses with Jack the Bulldog, the official mascot of Georgetown University’s athletic teams.  Courtesy of Daisy Steinthal ‘19

“I am currently undeclared in the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.  I love the curriculum here because I am able to study a wide array of fields and develop a strong foundation in the study of international relations before I have to decide what to specialize in.  That being said, I am currently leaning towards a focus in political culture and a minor in journalism.  One class that I am enjoying this semester is a Professional Seminar I am taking part in regarding Music, Politics, and International Relations taught by Dr. Jessica Roda.  I have found learning about the intersections of culture, art history, news media, and global policy fascinating.  I am also generally undecided about my future plans, but I hope to continue working in international relations, journalism, and perhaps pursue public service or law.”

What do you miss the most about Sacred Heart Greenwich?

I miss the closeness of the Sacred Heart community.  It is a very different experience coming from a small family to a large institution.  For example, my introductory Microeconomics lecture has more students than the entire Sacred Heart Upper School!  With so many more people, it is much more difficult to build strong relationships with professors and peers compared to Sacred Heart.  However, I have found that if you do put in the extra work, the relationships you build are essential to your success.  I love and miss my sisters in the Class of 2019, but I take pride in seeing everyone thrive in their new communities.”

“I am currently working on the staff of one of Georgetown’s oldest student newspapers, The Hoya.  I am on the social media team, which manages the publication’s many accounts and both produces original content and promotes the content of all of the other sections.  This is an extremely exciting time to be on The Hoya because it is the paper’s centennial year of publication.  I was driven to work on the social media team specifically because it is still growing and developing, especially in terms of creating original content.  Additionally, I believe that social media is a great way to learn about all of the different sections and connect with readers more directly.  While social media is still a relatively new and emerging section, the paper as a whole has a rich history that I am ecstatic to be a part of.”

your teachers and friends are all on your team and are rooting for you to succeed

— Daisy Steinthal '19

What advice do you have for Sacred Heart seniors beginning the college application process? 

My biggest advice is very corny but true: follow your heart, don’t let anyone get into your head, and do what is best for you.  The college process can be long and dramatic and painful.  You have to try to think about what you really want and not get too caught up in the rest.  For practical advice, do not stress if you did not finish your Common Application essay before the start of senior year or even before October.  Relax and enjoy your senior fall, those life experiences may be what you need to write a powerful and substantive personal statement.  Finally, take advantage of the opportunities within the Sacred Heart community; your teachers and friends are all on your team and are rooting for you to succeed: don’t be afraid to ask for help.”

Featured Image by Christine Guido ’20