A new year brings new faculty members to Sacred Heart

Ten new faculty members join the Upper School.

October 1, 2019

This fall, Sacred Heart Greenwich welcomes ten new faculty members into the Upper School.

Ms. Rebecca Beaton, Upper School Biology teacher, and Ms. Meghan Hazard, Upper School French teacher, join the Sacred Heart community as new Upper School teachers this year.  Photo Credit: Salvatore Rotondo

Ms. Meghan Hazard, Upper School French teacher, obtained her Bachelor’s Degree from Dickinson’s College and her Master’s Degree at Middlebury College.  Before coming to Sacred Heart, Ms. Hazard taught French and coached field hockey and lacrosse teams at Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Connecticut.  After that, she taught at the Winsor School, an all-girls private school in Boston, Massachusetts

Ms. Hazard discussed her interests, as well as what she is looking forward to experiencing this year at Sacred Heart. 

“As a language teacher I obviously place a lot of value on travel abroad and experiential learning so I am excited to hear about students’ experiences abroad, to learn more about the Global Scholars Program, and to find out more about opportunities for faculty exchanges,” Ms. Hazard said.  “But I’m also looking forward to getting to know the students better, both in and out of the classroom.”

Dr. Matthew Lillo, Fordham University graduate, enters the Upper School English Department as a freshman and junior teacher.  Dr. Lillo received a Bachelor of Music from Baldwin-Wallace University and a Bachelor of Arts from Fordham University.  He also recently obtained his Ph.D. from Fordham University.  

Two new members of the Upper School faculty are Dr. Matthew Lillo, Upper School English teacher and Ms. Xian Zheng, Upper School Chinese teacher.  Photo Credit: Salvatore Rotondo

Prior to joining the English Department at Sacred Heart, he spent six years as a Research and Teaching Fellow at Fordham University, where he instructed courses in literature and composition.  Dr. Lillo has also a published scholarship on writers including William Shakespeare, Christopher Marlowe, and King Henry VIII.

Dr. Lillo spoke about his love for theatre and his excitement for this year’s upcoming theatre productions at Sacred Heart. 

“I am looking forward to finding the proverbial ground under my feet a bit more,” Dr. Lillo said.  “I am most looking forward to seeing the school’s theatrical productions.  Theater is a big passion of mine, and I have heard great things about what Michaela Gorman does with her students.”

After coaching at the United States Naval Academy, Ms. Alyson Messinger takes on the roles of Assistant Director of Athletics for Operations and Leadership Programming, Varsity Lacrosse Coach, and Director of Lacrosse Development.  She received her Bachelor’s Degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. 

Ms. Christina Cauliffe is the new Athletic Trainer at Sacred Heart.  She graduated from Boston University as a Certified Athletic Trainer with a concentration in exercise physiology and psychology.  Prior to Sacred Heart, she worked as an athletic trainer at the Orthopedic & Neurosurgery Specialists (ONS) in Greenwich, as well as with numerous high schools and semi-professional leagues.  She is also a certified Weight Lifting Coach, a basic Emergency Medical Technician, and is trained in First Aid.

Ms. Xian Zheng, Upper School Chinese teacher, obtained her Bachelor’s Degree from the State University of New York at Binghamton and received her Master’s Degree from Mount Holyoke College.  Previously, Ms. Zheng worked at the Pioneer Valley Immersion School in Massachusetts, where she taught Chinese and Special Education from pre-kindergarten to eighth grade.  

Ms. Zheng shared her hobbies outside of teaching and what drew her to come to Sacred Heart.

Ms. Christina Cauliffe, Athletic Trainer, and Ms. Alyson Messinger, Assistant Director of Athletics, are two of the new faculty members joining Sacred Heart this year.  Photo Credit: Salvatore Rotondo

I enjoy drawing, painting, cooking and simple gatherings with family.  I usually go back to China every summer to reunite with my family members and friends,” Ms. Zheng said.  “I know that Sacred Heart is an all-girls school that focuses on helping the students not only achieve higher goals academically but also build a caring community so they can be more responsible and more independent in the future.” 

Entering the Upper School Science Department, Ms. Rebecca Beaton becomes the Upper School Biology teacher while Dr. Kristina Gremski is on sabbatical.  Ms. Beaton received her Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Pennsylvania and her Master’s Degree from the Teachers College of Columbia University.

Ms. Beaton notes her admiration with the Sacred Heart community.

“The Sacred Heart community has been most welcoming and patient,” Ms. Beaton said.  “I ask a lot of questions.  Everyone is generous with their time and willingness to help.  My students are intelligent and kind and make class time so much fun for me.”

Featured Image by Jacey Heffernan ‘21