As the leaders of the Pre-Med Club, Christine Plaster ’20 and Alexa Choy ’20 are enthusiastic for Sacred Heart to host the 2019 Operation Med School conference. Courtesy of Miss Karen Panarella, Upper School Dean of Students and Yearbook Moderator

Pre-Med Club

The resources that the Pre-Med Club provides can benefit students interested in pursuing a career in medicine.  Through their affiliation with Operation Med School, club heads seniors Alexa Choy and Christine Plaster offer Upper School students exposure and advice on medical school and related career paths.

Alexa shared her thoughts on the club’s initiatives and goals and the ways in which they impact students in the Upper School.

The Pre-Med Club meets during break, in the Upper School Biology Laboratory, to discuss the upcoming Operation Med School Conference.  Leah Allen ’22

“As this was Sacred Heart Greenwich’s first pre-med club, I realized that many girls had an interest in medicine but no place to nurture and discuss this interest,” Alexa said.  “I believe that our club enables valuable conversation about different careers in healthcare.” 

Alexa and Christine are members of Operation Med School, an organization that hosts educational conferences for high school students to inform them about careers in medicine.  The 2019 conference will take place at Sacred Heart November 9. 

Through this conference, Alexa and Christine hope the event will encourage and inspire Sacred Heart students interested in pursuing medicine as a career.  Christine discussed the value of the Pre-Med Club within the Sacred Heart community.

“The club is valuable at Sacred Heart to educate students on the pre-medicine track and anatomy,” Christine said. “Students can benefit from their participation in science because there are more women needed in the STEM field and studying medicine and science early on can encourage young women to get involved.”

Featured Image Courtesy of Miss Karen Panarella

Comments (0)

All King Street Chronicle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *