Family Christmas Cookies
Miss Gennaro, Bell Choir Director, shared this recipe for her family’s Christmas Cookies.
- Two and three-fourth cups of all-purpose flour
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- One-half of a teaspoon of baking powder
- One cup of butter
- One cup of white sugar
- One-half of a cup of brown sugar
- One egg
- Two teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Vanilla frosting
1) Heat the oven to 375°F.
2) Mix together the butter and sugars until they are a smooth consistency.
3) Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
4) Blend in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
5) Make small balls of dough, 0ne inch in diameter, and lay them out on a cookie sheet over parchment paper.
6) Bake for eight to ten minutes.
7) While the cookies cool, take ten Oreos and separate the cookies from the cream. Discard the cream.
8) Put the cookies in a bowl. Use a spoon or a pestle to crush the oreo cookies into a fine powder.
9) Spread the vanilla frosting on the bottoms of the cooled cookies.
10) Take a cookie and dip the frosted side into the crushed Oreos. Take another cookie and press the frosted side to the crushed Oreos, forming a sandwich. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
“I decided to modify a regular sugar cookie recipe for a baking contest at my previous job, which I actually won, and it eventually evolved into a holiday tradition,” Miss Gennaro said. “In general, it’s really fun to mess around with this recipe and try new things, even if they don’t work out. I definitely have a lot of great memories doing that with members of my family. This recipe is so fun to make and I think it tastes really good. The extra steps and add-ons make the baking process more interesting.”
Featured Image Courtesy of bhg.com