Celebrating the Class of 2020 lifers

The+lifers+of+the+Class+of+2020+gather+with+the+youngest+members+of+the+Sacred+Heart+Greenwich+community.+

Dylan Drury '22

The lifers of the Class of 2020 gather with the youngest members of the Sacred Heart Greenwich community.

Sacred Heart Greenwich will remember the Class of 2020 in many ways, including that they have a record number of lifers. The 20 graduating lifers have been a part of the Sacred Heart community for either 12, 13, 14, or 15 years.  Despite the unusual circumstances due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), Sacred Heart is keeping their celebratory traditions alive to honor these lifers.

The 20 lifers, seniors Malika Amoruso, Alexa Choy, Cameron Calcano, Sally Carter, Elle deAlessandrini, Gabby DiBiase, Sophia Georgas, Giselle Grey, Stephanie Guza, Bridget Hamlet, Aubrey Hash, Gerty Hisler, Katie Keller, Nicole Mellert, Taylor O’Meara, Jackie Prata, Mariana Soto, Daniella Tocco, Renata Trevino, and Arielle Uygur, know that they may always return to Sacred Heart Greenwich.

Sally, Upper School Student Body President, has been at Sacred Heart for 15 years, along with her peers Jackie, Renata, Katie, Nicole, Elle, Cameron, and Bridget.  Sally attended Convent of the Sacred Heart in New York City for nine years before moving to Sacred Heart Greenwich.  Sally shared how the lifers of the Class of 2020 have helped make her Sacred Heart experience so memorable.

“The Class of 2020 lifers are such an integral part of what makes our grade special in general,” Sally said.  “From sharing funny memories about lower school and tracking their development over the years, I have had so much fun getting to know this group of girls and feel such an appreciation for them and their commitment to Sacred Heart.”

Gabby and Malika have attended Sacred Heart for 14 years, while Mariana, Aubrey, Taylor, Daniella, Stephanie, Gerty, and Sophia have been at the school for 13 years.  Alexa, Giselle, and Arielle have been studying at Sacred Heart for 12 years. 

The Class of 2020 has a record number of graduating lifers.  Courtesy of Ms. Rachel Zurheide

In past years, Sacred Heart lifers attended the annual Mater Society Ceremony dinner to celebrate and commemorate their time as Sacred Heart students.  This year, Mrs. Pamela Juan Hayes’64, Head of School, Mrs. Kathleen O’Connor ’89, P’20, ’21, ’22, Board Chair, senior advisors, and guests will honor the 20 lifers with a virtual celebration, over Zoom Video Communications, May 27.

Mrs. Jenn Bensen P’10 H’15, Head of the Upper School, has shared meaningful time with the Class of 2020.  Mrs. Bensen watched the Class of 2020 grow as their Academic Dean, a grade advisor, and Head of the Upper School.

“What stands out about this class is their spirit,” Mrs. Bensen said.  “From day one of freshman year, these students embraced every event with great anticipation, excitement and engagement.  They truly enjoyed what Sacred Heart had to offer.”

Katie has been a student at Sacred Heart Greenwich for 15 years and will always remember and value the school community.

“My favorite part about being a Sacred Heart student is knowing that the community at Sacred Heart is never-ending,” Katie said.  “I will have my Sacred Heart friends for the rest of my life. I know that my teachers and coaches will always be there for me in the future.”

Mr. David Olson, Assistant Head of School and Head of Middle School, has shared many memories with the Class of 2020, from their days as middle schoolers until now, as they prepare to graduate.

“The Class of 2020 is an extremely talented group of students, artists and athletes,” Mr. Olson said.  “They have the unique ability to put forth great effort into all Sacred Heart classes and activities, while also showing joy in all that they do.”

Although the 20 lifers in the Class of 2020 are not able to physically be together at this time, Katie believes that the bond she has with her fellow lifers will ensure their friendship forever.

“The Class of 2020 lifers is a bright, intelligent, fun-loving group of girls and it is all due to Sacred Heart,” Katie said.  “We all appreciate and love the school so much, because it has given us each other.”  

Featured Image by Dylan Drury ’22