With love and gratitude, the Class of 2020

Caroline Baranello '20

For the 2019-2020 academic year, the Class of 2020 selected the Upper School theme of an “Attitude of Gratitude.”

As the 2020 school year comes to a close, we look back on our time at Sacred Heart Greenwich as students, athletes, performers, and, of course, journalists.  Although the Class of 2020 is not able to celebrate the end of our senior year with the traditions and events we anticipated, this time gives us the chance to value the memories and sisterhood of our class, regardless of our physical separation.  Specifically, as the Senior Editorial Board, we are able to reflect on and appreciate our time as leaders of the King Street Chronicle

Throughout our journalistic journey, we aspired to follow in the footsteps of the previous students who established and shaped the King Street Chronicle.  As staff writers, we enthusiastically met with our section editors and the senior leaders, watching and learning with each day.  By the time we became section editors, we were prepared to guide the incoming staff writers and still eager to learn from the seniors.

This September, we entered the newsroom with the same excitement, but this time, as leaders.  As a class, we strove to embody the Upper School theme of an “Attitude of Gratitude” in the classroom and in our daily lives.  It is this motto that inspired us in the newsroom each day.

While this is typically the time for the senior class to celebrate and bid farewell to Sacred Heart, we now reflect how fortunate we are to be connected with such a close and loving community.  The Class of 2020 has made our mark by demonstrating strength in facing adversity, pushing boundaries, and excelling both inside and outside of the classroom. 

We would like to express our gratitude to those who taught us the skills we carried into this school year.  Over the course of our journalistic careers, respected mentors, exceptional writers, and genuine people equipped us to lead this paper.  We have become expert passive voice detectors, creative poll curators, and organized brainstormers.  We can only hope that our passion and dedication will continue throughout the future of the King Street Chronicle

Each time we stepped into the newsroom, the writers and section editors greeted us with smiling faces and constant enthusiasm.  As the leaders of this iteration of the King Street Chronicle, we have had the honor to teach and guide our younger peers.  Truly, though, they have taught us so much more than we could have imagined.

We have learned the power of resilience, kindness, and patience.  As we taught the writers grammar and style guide rules, each of them showed us how to be effective communicators and responsible leaders.  We feel so thankful to have had the opportunity to meet and collaborate with each and every one of our peers, and we look forward to the amazing things they will accomplish next year. 

Truly, we would not be who we are or where we are today if it were not for our incredible adviser, Ms. Larson.  From the day when we accidentally used the word partook in the lede of a first edition article, to the beginning of the King Street Chronicle’s first ever socially-distanced Senior Edition, Ms. Larson has given us the privilege to expand our horizons as students, leaders, and people.  

Ms. Larson, thank you for your unwavering support, trust, and love.  From the moment we stepped into the newsroom as nervous sophomores, we have fostered invaluable relationships with you and are ever so grateful to have you as our mentor.  Thank you for always brightening our day, one mini baseball bat at a time.  You taught us to be inquisitive and to think outside the box.  Thank you for pushing us out of our comfort zones because you knew we would be able to soar before we had even discovered our wings. 

Words cannot express our gratitude for your guidance, honesty, and unconditional friendship.  Between ringing the gong and singing West Side Story, you have taught us that we should not and will not be ignored.  Perhaps we are the “Dream Team,” but every good team requires an exceptional captain. 

The members of the Senior Editorial Board, Sydney Kim ’20, Christine Guido ’20, Amelia Sheehan ’20, Sydney Gallop ’20, and Caroline Baranello ’20, are grateful for the experiences they shared at Sacred Heart Greenwich.  Lé-Anne Johnson ’21

To our sisters in the Class of 2020, the staff of the King Street Chronicle, both past and present, and Ms. Larson, we will always treasure the moments we shared and lessons we have learned.  Thank you for allowing us to leave our mark as journalists at Sacred Heart. 

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” 

~Mr. Winnie the Pooh~

Love, 

Christine Guido, Sydney “Petunia” Gallop, Sydney “Ruth” Kim, Caroline Baranello, and Amelia “Esmerelda” Sheehan