Gone from the school not from the Heart: Executive Board edition

Claire Moore '22

The members of the 2019-2020 Executive Board share their respective college experiences studying amidst the coronavirus pandemic.

The time-honored tradition of “Gone from the school, not from the Heart” continues in commemorating the legacy of the King Street Chronicle’s previous editors.  The first to be featured this year are the members of the 2019-2020 Executive Board. 

Sydney Gallop 

Colby College Class of 2024     

Co-Editor-in-Chief of the King Street Chronicle 

How has your school adapted to COVID-19? 

“Colby has done an excellent job so far in regards to COVID-19.  When I first arrived August 21, I was immediately tested and then had a 24-hour quarantine in my room until I got my negative test result.  After that, every student, faculty member, and staff member on campus was tested every other day.  This testing program continued for the first three weeks we were here, and only resulted in eight positive cases, three of which were false positives and all of which are recovered.  Now, we are testing only twice a week.  In terms of my classes, I am taking four courses, all of which are in person.  In the classroom, we socially-distance and wear masks at all times.  Some of my classes, for example, Introduction to Psychology, have too many people in the class to be in the lecture room all at once, so we are broken into two groups that alternate in-person meetings.  Professors are still offering office hours, only now they are over Zoom, and have been very adaptable to student needs during this time.”

What is your major and how do you hope to use it after college? 

“I am not exactly sure what I will major in, but I think it will relate to English or Psychology.  Majors here are not declared until sophomore year, so I am definitely going to take my time to choose.” 

What is your favorite part of your college experience so far?

“My favorite part of my college experience so far is having so much independence, especially in terms of my coursework.  I love the fact that I can now be more selective in terms of what classes I want to study and there is also a lot of leeway to take courses that might not specifically appeal to your major but you just find interesting in general.” 

Are you participating in any journalistic activities in college? 

“I plan to participate in Colby’s student newspaper, The Colby Echo.  The paper operates much differently than the King Street Chronicle in that it is not a class, but a club activity.  Additionally, I have the freedom to write about any topic of my choice, craft an article, and submit it to the paper.  If the Editorial Board of The Echo decides that it is worth publishing, they will send it back to me with some edits, and, once completed, the article is published. There are also journalism courses offered here that I hope to take in the coming semesters.”

What do you miss most about Sacred Heart?

A sunset captured above Messalonskee Lake, on which the Colby College rowing team practices.  Courtesy of Sydney Gallop ’20

“I miss the small community at Sacred Heart.  Colby is also a small school and fosters a similar community, however, I miss seeing everyone on campus and having such a tight kinship with my classmates.  Especially since we did not get a chance to formally finish our time together as Sacred Heart students, I miss the Class of 2020 but am so happy to see how everyone is transitioning into their new chapters in college.” 

Christine Guido 

Elon University Class of 2024 

“Elon University requires all students to wear a mask at all times.  We are allowed to take our masks off in our dorm rooms, but other than that, our masks stay on.  Most of my classes are in-person, and we are socially-distanced in the classroom.  One of my classes is online, and sometimes my in-person classes are moved online for that particular day.  Elon performs random testing to ensure students are staying safe.  I was randomly selected for testing next week and will learn my results within three days.  Elon uses the company LabCorp for its testing.”  

“I am majoring in Journalism and hope to pursue a career in broadcasting after college.” 

Christine Guido ’20 broadcasts as a weather anchor for Elon News Network.  Courtesy of Christine Guido ’20

“My favorite part about college so far has been meeting new people and making new friends.  Everyone at Elon has been extremely kind, so making friends has been easy and fun.” 

How have you been involved in your college community? 

“Given the constraints of [COVID-19] there are not a lot of college community gatherings right now, but there are smaller interest groups in which it is fun to participate.”

“Yes, I am working with Elon News Network (ENN).  I have been fortunate enough to be a part of one of the live shows as the weather anchor on Elon News.  I am now working on upcoming stories to air on the morning and evening news shows.”  

“I miss the teachers the most at Sacred Heart, especially the King Street Chronicle and Ms. Larson.  I am so grateful and lucky for the support I received at Sacred Heart because I am where I am and who I am today because of it.” 

Sydney Kim 

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Class of 2024

Managing Editor, Opinions Editor, Podcast Editor, and Content Editor of the King Street Chronicle

“This semester, in response to COVID-19, MIT is allowing only seniors and graduate students access to campus.  In addition, the senior class is the only group living on campus.  I am at home, taking my classes online.  Most of my professors are using a flipped classroom model where we watch pre-recorded lectures before attending a live Zoom session.  Although MIT has not officially released its plan for the spring, the administration hopes to have all the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors back on campus.” 

Avery Kim ’24 and Sydney Kim ’20 stand in front of Killian Court on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus last February.  Courtesy of Sydney Kim ’20

“I am planning to major in mechanical engineering.  I may do a combined major with environmental engineering or aeronautics and astronautics, but I am going to take a few classes in both of those fields before I decide.  I don’t have any specific plans for after college.”

“I am in a first-year learning community, Terrascope, and I recently joined the MIT Concert Choir.  This semester, one of the greatest challenges is building a sense of community, but I am slowly learning how to do that in a virtual environment.”

“I am part of a research team studying sustainable agriculture.  One of the goals of our project is to create educational resources for both the general public and people in the agricultural industry.  To make our findings as accessible as possible, we will be creating a website and publishing a series of articles, interactive graphics, and podcasts.”

“I miss the people at Sacred Heart the most.  Even though I miss being surrounded by the Sacred Heart community, I’ve realized that the relationships I built with my peers and teachers allowed me to learn to be comfortable asking for help.  That skill, especially in 300-student, virtual classes, has proven to be extraordinarily valuable.” 

Featured Image by Claire Moore ’22