Welcoming Mrs. Frazier to King Street

October 1, 2020

Amidst the many COVID-19-related changes on campus this summer, the Sacred Heart Greenwich community prepared for the arrival of a new Head of School.  Mrs. Margaret Frazier became the 34th Head of School to 700 Sacred Heart students and faculty members July 1st.  Mrs. Frazier is returning to her home state of Connecticut after 30 years of traveling and working in Europe and in other parts of America. 

The students and faculty of Sacred Heart welcome Mrs. Frazier to Greenwich after she served as Headmistress for two years at Marymount International School in London, England.  Marymount International School is a Catholic, all-girls day and boarding school.  Mrs. Frazier also previously worked at Stone Ridge of the Sacred Heart in Bethesda, Maryland for two years and at Georgetown Preparatory School, a Jesuit day and boarding school located outside of Washington, D.C., for 15 years.

Ms. Marion Dawson Carr, Mrs. Kathleen Plunkett O’Connor ‘89, P’20, ’21, ’22, Mrs. Margaret Frazier, and Mrs. Mandy Dawson Murphy ’85 gather at the Incoming Head of School event in February.  Courtesy of Sacred Heart Greenwich

Mrs. Frazier feels that her return to a Sacred Heart school has impacted her immensely, and the support of the community has allowed for a seamless transition.

“There is a wonderfully familiar feeling at every Sacred Heart school,” Mrs. Frazier said.  “Although the places are not physically the same, the initial feelings of warmth, community, strength, and grace shine through each one.  There is a similar feeling that something important and sacred is happening in this place.  My experiences at Stone Ridge helped me to appreciate the deep connections between the RSCJs and the Jesuits from my 15 years at Georgetown Prep just up the road from Stone Ridge, and to find great meaning in their shared charism.”

Mrs. Frazier is taking over the Head of School position after the retirement of Mrs. Pamela Juan Hayes ‘64.  Mrs. Hayes, the first non-RSCJ Head of School in Sacred Heart’s 170-year history, served in that capacity for ten years and was a member of the Sacred Heart community for over 45 years as a student and as an educator.  She oversaw many renovations and innovations to the King Street campus, including a new Athletic Center and Student Dining Room, now named Hayes Hall.  Mrs. Hayes was also a substantial part of the creation of the online learning initiative, SophieConnect.  

Mrs. Frazier’s aspirations for her first year include fostering an atmosphere of positivity as she comes to know the Sacred Heart Greenwich community.

“Even with the challenges of COVID, I want there to be a year filled with joyful learning, great activities, service to others, and a real true sense of living our mission,” Mrs. Frazier said.  “Other important goals include getting to know students and faculty, learning about unique programs and traditions here at Greenwich, and celebrating a whole series of firsts.”

Sacred Heart Greenwich welcomes its 34th Head of School this year, Mrs. Margaret Frazier.  Courtesy of greenwichtime.com

Mrs. Frazier received a Bachelor of Arts from Dartmouth College and she holds a certificate from the Harvard Kennedy School at Harvard UniversityShe grew up in Connecticut and has now returned to Greenwich with her husband, Mr. Don Frazier.  Mrs. Frazier has two sons that live in Washington, D.C. and Denver, Colorado, respectively, along with a daughter who currently resides in London. 

Mrs. Frazier is optimistic going into the school year, and she believes that by respecting and loving one another, the students and faculty can have the best year yet.

“My best advice is to worry less, pray more, take time to smell the roses, and seek to do your best each day.  You all are amazing, and you have so much to offer each other.  I hope we can make this a year where in June we look back and say that the strength of community, our kindnesses to each other, and our awareness of living out our sacred mission defined our best year yet,” Mrs. Frazier said.  “To make that happen, we all must act out of love and respect.  Let’s commit to doing that every day.”

Featured Image by Dylan Drury ’22

View Comments(1)

Comments (1)

All King Street Chronicle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• L

Louise DunnOct 16, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Looking forward to meeting you.

I was one of the first students at Greenwich having come up from Maplehurst. I was a weekly border, coming to school Sunday afternoon (from our country home in Stamford) as my mother was driving back to her NYC Studio. My mother designed “Plaques” of Our Lady and St Joseph that hung in the chapel. The space was narrow therefore the plaques. In later years when the chapel was enlarged the plaques moved to the entrance of the Science building. I was at school within the last year and my daughter went looking for Our Lady and St Joseph. They were finally discovered in the Sacristy!

Do take a look at my mother’s website: http://www.hildrethmeiere.org. In NYC: St. Bartholomew’s, Temple Emanu-El and the altar frontal of the Lady Chapel of St Patrick’s Cathedral.

Until we have the opportunity of meeting, Louise Meiere Dunn, 1948

Reply
1