Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Mrs. Sarah Martin, Upper School English Teacher, shared this holiday recipe that she loves to bake with her daughters.
- Three-fourths pound (three sticks) of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- One cup of sugar
- One teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Three and one-half cups of all-purpose flour
- One-fourth teaspoon of kosher salt
- One egg beaten with one tablespoon of water, for egg wash
- Seven ounces of sweetened flaked coconut
- Raspberry and/or apricot jam
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are combined. Then, add the vanilla.
3) Separately, sift together the flour and salt.
4) With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough forms.
5) Dump the dough onto a floured board and roll together into a flat disc.
6) Cover in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
7) Roll the dough into one and one-fourth-inch balls. They should each weigh one ounce.
8) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll in coconut.
9) Place the balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and using a finger, press a light indentation into the top of each ball.
10) Drop one-fourth teaspoon of jam into each indentation.
11) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Then, cool and serve.
Featured Image Courtesy of Ms. Maura McEvoy