KSC Alumna Spotlight – Ms. Jackie Shannon ’18

What is the most important skill that you learned during your time on the King Street Chronicle Staff?

“The KSC provided me with a strong foundation of a variety of journalistic practices, so it is difficult to choose only one valuable skill.  However, one skill that I still use often is interviewing and talking to a variety of people.  During my time at the KSC, I learned about the importance of reaching out to people, asking good questions, and following up after the interview.  You might be writing an article about a topic that you know nothing about, but it is so important to put in time for preparation and creating good questions.  One of my favorite projects for the KSC was working on ‘120 Seconds With…’ with Maggy Wolanske.  We would always develop questions, narrow them down, and then have the opportunity to interview the subjects on camera.”

How have you continued your interest in journalism after graduating from Sacred Heart Greenwich?

“Last summer, I held a remote internship position as a Digital Media Intern for Cottages & Gardens.  I helped curate Instagram posts and build articles on their website.  My time at the King Street Chronicle definitely played a role in preparing me for the internship because Cottages & Gardens uses WordPress, so I would build the articles in the ‘backroom’ of WordPress, just like for the KSC.”

“I am currently a Journalism Major at Fordham University.  Last semester, I took a class called Intermediate Multimedia Reporting.  My projects consisted of writing a print article, producing an audio piece and an accompanying print story, and finally producing a video story with an accompanying print story.  I also took a Media Law and Journalism Ethics course last semester, so it was interesting to learn about that side of journalism.  This semester, I am in a Sports Broadcasting class.  My favorite courses over the past three years have definitely been my journalism courses.  I have written for Fordham University’s student newspaper, The Fordham Ram.  I transferred from Boston University, and I was a travel writer for ‘The Buzz,’ which is Boston University’s lifestyle magazine.”

What piece of advice would you give to the current and future KSC Staff?

“My biggest piece of advice for KSC Staff would be to take advantage of every opportunity that is available to you.  Every opportunity is a chance to learn something new or build a connection with someone.  For example, when I was at Boston University, my professor was covering the College Admission Scandal trials, which were taking place in Boston, for The Washington Post.  She offered my class the opportunity to go with her.  Luckily, it was during a time that I had no other classes, so I attended the court hearing.  I was not allowed to have any technology with me in the courtroom, so I had to hand-write all of my notes and make sure that all of the quotations were accurate.  I was the only one in my class who ended up going, so it was an opportunity to build a connection with my professor and to learn more from her outside of the classroom.”

The King Street Chronicle thanks Ms. Jackie Shannon ’18, former Social Media Editor and Co-Video Content Editor, for her contributions.