World Language Week: Exploring tourism in the Middle East

Natalie Dosmond '21

For this year’s World Language Week, Sacred Heart Greenwich students from the Chinese, Spanish, French, and Arabic classes shared their work in the foreign language that they study.

For this year’s World Language Week, Sacred Heart Greenwich students from the Chinese, Spanish, French, and Arabic classes shared a piece of work in the foreign language that they study.  Junior Mary Hawthorn-Kanos, Arabic III Honors student, wrote this article about the city of Petra in Jordan for a project about tourism in the Middle East.

Junior Mary Hawthorn-Kanos ’22 recites her article in Arabic.

The Treasury in Petra is one of the city’s most important sites.  Courtesy of velvetescape.com

The city of Petra is located in Jordan.  Jordan is a country in the Middle East.  Jordan is close to Israel, Syria, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia.

In Jordan there is a king. His name is Abdullah bin Hussein II. The currency in Jordan is Jordanian Dinar.  Tourism helps the economy in Jordan.

The Jordanian city of Petra is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and is a historical landmark of the Middle East.  It is called the Red City due to the color of the rocks it is built in.  Additionally, Petra was the capital of the Nabataeans.

The main sites in Petra are the Treasury, the Silk Tomb, the Church, the Great Temple, and the Theatre.

Petra is beautiful!  I would love to visit it someday.

The King Street Chronicle thanks junior Mary Hawthorn-Kanos ’22 for her contributions.

Featured Image by Natalie Dosmond ’21