“Humans of Sacred Heart” – Izzy DeVita ’21 and Piper Gilbert ’21

Izzy DeVita ’21:

How long have you been attending Sacred Heart Greenwich and what will you miss the most about Sacred Heart next year?

“I have been at Sacred Heart since ninth grade.  I will miss the sense of community and just feeling so at home every day at school.  I truly feel like I can be myself at school among my teachers and classmates which is extremely unique and something I have really valued during my time at Sacred Heart.”

Where are you going to college next year and what are you most looking forward to?

“I am going to be attending the University of Pennsylvania in the fall.  I am most looking forward to being extremely independent and having more free time outside of classes.  Obviously, the school day in high school is extremely busy and jam-packed with classes and then usually sports after school so I am just looking forward to having my classes being more spread out and having my time be my own.  I am also looking forward to the vast opportunities I will have at my fingertips and taking classes in a variety of subject areas about which I am passionate.”

Valedictorian is an exceptional academic honor.  How do you feel about this achievement?

“I am extremely honored to be the Valedictorian for the Class of 2021.  I am so grateful to my friends, family, and teachers who have supported me throughout high school and without whom I could not have achieved this great honor.  I am so appreciative of the love we all have for each other in the Class of 2021, so to be able to speak for the grade at graduation is something I do not take lightly.  Learning and growing alongside the Class of 2021 for the past four years has been so amazing and I’m so excited to see the things everyone accomplishes after we leave Sacred Heart.”

Piper Gilbert ’21:

“I have been attending Sacred Heart since 2nd grade—so, 11 years now.  Unquestionably, I will miss the community most.  I am lucky to have made the greatest friends I could have imagined, who have continued to be my support system throughout the years.  I think when your best friends from middle school are still among your best friends, it’s a testament to the quality of the relationship.   Along with my peers, my teachers have been cheerleaders and challengers, pushing me to my limits while molding me into the person I am today.  Only Sacred Heart could have given me such a wonderful and transformative experience, and knowing I have to leave this community behind is incredibly difficult.”

“I am ecstatic to be attending Dartmouth College next year.  I am most looking forward to encountering new academic challenges and honing my professional interests in an environment I love.  I can’t wait to participate in Dartmouth’s traditions, take classes focused on my specific interests, figure out my passions and aspirations, and explore Hanover, New Hampshire.  The area is beautiful and has a lot to offer in terms of skiing, hiking, and more, so I’m excited to spend more time doing activities I have not been able to do as frequently as I would like in high school.”

Salutatorian is an exceptional academic honor.  How do you feel about this achievement? 

“I am so humbled to be named Salutatorian.  It is an honor to represent the academic work of my class, as we have all worked extremely hard this year and throughout high school.  I am grateful to my friends and my teachers for always encouraging and supporting me.”

The King Street Chronicle thanks seniors Izzy DeVita ’21 and Piper Gilbert ’21 for their contributions to “Humans of Sacred Heart.”