Celebrating home, Heart, and community during Homecoming weekend

Lindsay Benza '23

Sacred Heart Greenwich held the Heart Homecoming event for the community to come together.

The first annual Homecoming Weekend brought spirit and excitement to King Street as Sacred Heart Greenwich families, faculty, and alumnae congregated for the first time in 18 months.  Upper School Head of Social, senior Caroline Hisler, and Director of Athletics, Ms. Elizabeth Dennison, believe that hosting school-wide social events helps create a stronger bond within the school community, which they feel is crucial after time spent apart due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Sacred Heart’s junior varsity and varsity field hockey, soccer, and volleyball teams welcomed spectators at their home games.  Ms. Dennison explained the importance of showing school spirit and gathering as a community during Homecoming.

Sacred Heart families, alumnae, and faculty had the opportunity to gather together and participate in a day of activities.  Lindsay Benza ’23

“It is a great way to come together outside of school and show our Sacred Heart spirit, cheer on our student-athletes, and reconnect with other Sacred Heart families, alumnae, and friends,” Mrs. Dennison said. 

In addition to the sports games, there was a Western Rodeo-themed dance for juniors and seniors with music, food, and a photo booth.  Community members were also able to purchase treats from the Class of 2022 bake sale, enjoy lunch from food trucks, play carnival games, and choose a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch. 

In her role as Upper School Head of Social, Caroline oversaw many activities for every community member to appreciate.  Leading up to Homecoming Weekend, she expressed her enthusiasm about planning the dance for the juniors and seniors. 

“Excitement will peak on that Friday because we will be having green and white inductions,” Caroline said. “Homecoming day is a day for current students to come together as one. We’re so excited to close everything off with our ‘Western Rodeo’ themed homecoming dance for the eleventh and twelfth grades.”

Students in all divisions participated in Sacred Heart’s annual Run for Uganda event to raise money for the Uganda Sacred Heart Primary School.  Participants honored former Head of School, Mrs. Pamela Juan Hayes ’64 by wearing stickers with her initials illustrated on them.

After the games and festivities, alumnae and parents attended the annual Alumnae Reunion.  Alumna Mrs. Kristina Sekor Hooper ’88 P’24 described her favorite part of the alumnae reunion and the significance of the day.

“My favorite event was Alumnae Day Mass since I think of the chapel as the heart of the school,” Mrs. Hooper said.  “To be in the same chapel I have sat in since 1982 brings back so many wonderful memories.  The Mass is also the opportunity to honor alumnae for their contributions to the school and the world.  I also love seeing the young alumnae returning to campus.  But truly every event was great and the weather was perfect.  God was clearly smiling down on us.”

Members of the Upper School celebrated the start of the year during the pep rally to begin Homecoming weekend.  Courtesy of Ms. Lucie Turkel

Mrs. Hooper described her love for Sacred Heart and the special meaning that the school holds for her.  She shared how joyous she felt to return for the weekend.

“I love everything about coming back to school,” Mrs. Hooper said.  “Whenever I am on campus, I am struck by the beauty and specialness of 1177 King Street.   It is truly home for me.  But the best part of returning to Sacred Heart is knowing my daughter is getting the same wonderful experience that was so life-changing for me.”

Featured image by Lindsay Benza ’23