Meet the new Upper School faculty and staff

Sacred Heart Greenwich welcomes eight new professionals from different fields into the Upper School.  The new members of the community include Ms. Krista Carnes, Ms. Elizabeth Dennison, Dr. Liang Feng, Mr. Sean Lowery, Ms. Marnie McLaughlin, Ms. Kamille Ruiz, Dr. Lisa Schwartz, and Ms. Maria Viale.

Ms. Carnes is the SophieConnect Director of Growth & Development.  Before Sacred Heart, she worked as an integrated marketing specialist, supporting brands and agencies by creating marketing plans to advertise brands successfully.
“My main goal is to grow the relationships of the SophieConnect partner schools both within the Network and beyond, as I believe online learning is a critical skill for students,” Ms. Carnes said.

Ms. Dennison takes on the role of Director of Athletics. Prior to joining Sacred Heart, Ms. Dennison was the Staley Head Coach of the women’s rowing team at Cornell University and then transitioned into the role of Associate Director of Rowing.  While Ms. Dennison worked at Cornell, the rowing team took fifth place at the Ivy League Women’s Rowing Championship and participated in the Henley Women’s Regatta for the first time, according to cornellbigred.

“The community at Sacred Heart was one that I immediately wanted to be a part of, and could tell was special,” Ms. Dennison said.  “The athletic facilities are state-of-the-art, and support for the programs from the administration, faculty, students, parents, and community is palpable.”

Sacred Heart Greenwich welcomes Ms. Krista Carnes, Ms. Elizabeth Dennison, Dr. Liang Feng, and Mr. Sean Lowery.
Christine Guido ’20

Dr. Feng, Upper School Chemistry Teacher, researched fruit ripening enzymes as a graduate student at the University of California Berkeley and investigated novel microbial enzymes involved in protein synthesis at Yale University. Before coming to Sacred Heart, Dr. Feng also taught Chemistry and AP Chemistry at Miss Porter’s School in Farmington, Connecticut for the past three years.

Mr. Lowery, Part-Time Director of Upper and Middle School Orchestra and Upper School Musical Director, taught music and chorus at the Mandell School in Manhattan, New York, before becoming a freelance musician and teacher.  Mr. Lowery was the Music Director of last year’s Upper School’s production of Jesus Christ Superstar.

“I am really looking forward to teaching the joy of music here at Sacred Heart,” Mr. Lowery said.  “My goal is to allow my students to enjoy the process of learning music so that it becomes a continual life-long appreciation.”

Dr. Schwartz, School Psychologist, enters a new year at Sacred Heart, after filling in for Dr. Otero, the School Psychologist and the Lead Wellness Strand of the Department of Student Support, while she was on maternity leave last year.  In addition to working at Sacred Heart, Dr. Schwartz also works at a private office in Mt. Kisco, New York, helping children, teenagers, and parents as a psychologist.

“I came here originally to help the school while my friend and colleague [Dr. Otero] was on maternity leave last year.  I loved it so much,” Dr. Schwartz said.  “I was lucky the school asked me to come back and continue to help the community.”
Ms. McLaughlin, Upper School Art Teacher previously taught art from fifth to ninth grade at The Rippowam Cisqua School in Bedford, New York.  Ms. McLaughlin hopes to help students find confidence through their art this year.

“My goals for this year are to deliver dynamic art lessons that provide students with a strong foundation and foster confidence and curiosity in the process of making meaningful art,” Ms. McLaughlin said.

Ms. Marnie McLaughlin, Ms. Kamille Ruiz, Dr. Lisa Schwartz, and Ms. Maria Viale join the Sacred Heart community this year.
Christine Guido ’20

Ms. Ruiz joins the Sacred Heart community as Upper School World Language Teacher.  Ms. Ruiz previously taught Spanish at York Prep School, an independent university-preparatory school in Manhattan, New York, according to yorkprep.org.

Ms. Ruiz notes her admiration for the kindness of the community members at Sacred Heart.

“When I came to visit for an interview I was very impressed not only by the gorgeous campus, but also by everybody’s friendliness, and how they take pride on the strong community they have built here,” Ms. Ruiz said.

Previously, Ms. Viale, Upper School World Language Teacher, taught French and Spanish at Soundview Preparatory School, The Masters School, and Wooster School. She also works as a Spanish interpreter in local courts.

“I want to transmit to [the students] the passion I have for learning, sharing knowledge, different interests, and joy for life,” Ms. Viale said.  “[I hope to allow the girls to] become richer in mind and spirit by learning and experiencing other cultures and ways of being and thinking.”

Featured Image by Christine Guido ’20