Commemorating Mrs. Hayes’ enduring impact on the Sacred Heart Network

The+Sacred+Heart+Network+commemorates+Mrs.+Pamela+Juan+Hayess+68+years+of+service+in+the+school+community.+

Dylan Drury '22

The Sacred Heart Network commemorates Mrs. Pamela Juan Hayes’s 68 years of service in the school community.

The entire Sacred Heart Network remembers the meaningful life and mourns the loss of Mrs. Pamela Juan Hayes ‘64, a pioneer in Sacred Heart education and a pivotal role model for female leadership.  Mrs. Hayes was a member of the Sacred Heart Network as a student, educator, and administrator for 68 years, and spent more than 20 years on King Street.  She served as Head of the Upper School and Head of School at Sacred Heart Greenwich until her retirement in the spring of 2020. 

Mrs. Hayes attended Sacred Heart Greenwich from kindergarten until twelfth grade.  Following her graduation in 1964, she continued her education at Briarcliff College.  After completing her undergraduate degree, Mrs. Hayes pursued a Master of Education at Manhattanville College.

The student dining room, Hayes Hall, represents Mrs. Hayes’s vision.  Dylan Drury ’22

Her first teaching job brought her to the Ernest Hemmingway School in Sun Valley, Idaho. Mrs. Hayes then returned to her alma mater, Sacred Heart Greenwich, as a Middle School English teacher.  She moved to Convent of the Sacred Heart at 91st Street, located in New York, New York, where she worked as Head of the Middle School.  She worked at 91st Street until her return to Sacred Heart Greenwich where she continued overseeing Middle School programming.

In the late 1990s, Mrs. Hayes moved to San Francisco, where she became head of the girls elementary school at Schools of the Sacred Heart, and later became the Director of the Schools, according to issuu.com.  In 2009, Mrs. Hayes returned to Sacred Heart Greenwich as Head of School after the retirement of her longtime friend and colleague, Sister Joan Magnetti, RSCJ.  Mrs. Hayes proudly held this leadership position for 11 years.

Sacred Heart Greenwich Broadcast Journalism students created a tribute video for Mrs. Hayes in 2020 to honor her retirement.  In the video, Mrs. Keri Moore, Fourth Grade Teacher, described Mrs. Hayes’ devotion to the mission of Sacred Heart schools.

“I was one of the people on her search committee,” Mrs. Moore said.  “And I will say that in the end, I think that the RSCJ’s felt so comfortable knowing that someone was coming to Sacred Heart as head who has such a love for this place, for this particular building, these particular grounds, and that her history here brought her full circle.” 

Mrs. Hayes played a key role in the expansion of athletic facilities at Sacred Heart Greenwich during her time as Head of School.  In 2014, the “Framing our Future: Today Tomorrow and Forever” campaign resulted in a new Athletic Center, Magnetti Turf Field, and cafeteria.  The Sacred Heart community dedicated the student dining facility to Mrs. Hayes, renaming it Hayes Hall in honor of her contributions to the school.

“Our goal is to physically transform our campus by creating spaces that encourage the values of faith, character, community, courage, sportsmanship, teamwork, leadership, critical thinking, and reflection,” Mrs. Hayes said during the renovations, according to patch.com

A Sacred Heart Greenwich lifer, Ms. Katie Keller ’20 remembers not only her personal relationship with Mrs. Hayes but also her family’s special connection to her.  For Ms. Keller, Mrs. Hayes served as a role model, nurturer, and inspiration.   

“Mrs. Hayes was my guardian angel at Sacred Heart and will forever be,” Ms. Keller said.  “As my mother’s fifth and sixth-grade teacher, Mrs. Hayes helped my mother through her struggles with dyslexia.  She had a profound impact on my mom which in turn led to a closer relationship with Mrs. Hayes and our family.  She not only looked out for me but she was my biggest cheerleader.  She was an avid field hockey fan and came to all of our games.  I am so lucky to have had someone like Mrs. Hayes looking after me in all my years at Sacred Heart.”

Devoted to furthering the mission of Saint Madeline Sophie Barat, Mrs. Hayes was also a leader in campus ministry.  Upper School Theology and Art History teacher Mr. Dan Favata reflected on Mrs. Hayes’ passion for education and religion.

Ms. Katie Keller ’20 remembers her loving and strong relationship with Mrs. Hayes.  Dylan Drury ’22

“Mrs. Hayes was a spiritual leader at Sacred Heart in so many different ways,” Mr. Favata said.  “Our liturgies, chapels, and Sacred Heart traditions such as Mater were so important to her.  Mrs. Hayes also saw our community as a family and loved everyone here.  God calls all of us to lives of serving and loving others, and Mrs. Hayes did this every day.  She was an example for all of us of what it means to be Sacred Heart.”

Not only did Mrs. Hayes act as a religious mentor, but she also demonstrated joyful learning as an educator at Sacred Heart Greenwich.  Ms. Kathleen Dunn, Assistant Head of Lower School and Lower School Technology Coordinator and Teacher, recalled a time when Mrs. Hayes demonstrated her love for laughter and fun with the children she taught.

“I was absolutely saddened to hear of Pam’s passing.  She was a wonderful person with a heart of gold and I’ll always remember the many times she made us all laugh,” Ms. Dunn said.  “Pam was always the best at getting the students involved in all kinds of activities.  She was strict but knew when to let go and have fun.  Once during the first big snowstorm, she had us sneak into the lunchroom and borrow food trays.  We collected the kids, ran out to where the new stairs to go down to the fields are, and sled.  So much fun and laughter was had but then back to teaching it was.  Pam’s immense love for the students was always evident.”

Former and current members of the Sacred Heart Greenwich community will honor the life of Mrs. Hayes at a memorial mass, October 9, at the St. Paul Roman Catholic Church in Greenwich, Connecticut.  A reception at 1177 King Street will follow the mass.  The broader school community will continue to cherish and appreciate her dedication and passion for Sacred Heart.

Featured image by Dylan Drury ’22