Taking action to raise awareness about women’s health

The+Sacred+Heart+Greenwich+Upper+School+spreads+awareness+about+womens+health+issues+during+the+month+of+October.+

Kelly Haggerty '23

The Sacred Heart Greenwich Upper School spreads awareness about women’s health issues during the month of October.

For the month of October, Sacred Heart Greenwich Upper School students fulfilled Goal Three of the Sacred Heart Goals and Criteria, “a social awareness which impels to action,” through acts of service centered around the theme of women’s health.  In honor of breast cancer awareness month, Upper School students and faculty wrote messages to express gratitude to women in their lives October 19.  The Community Service Team also conducted toiletry drives October 20 for the Breast Cancer Alliance (BCA), the Phoenix House, and the Think Pink Foundation. 

Students express gratitude for the important women in their lives.  Kelly Haggerty ’23

Sacred Heart’ s Upper School works closely with BCA, an organization dedicated to helping those with breast cancer through early detection, prevention, treatment, and cures, according to breastcanceralliance.org. BCA funds innovative research, breast surgery fellowships, and regional education. It also awards grants to doctors, researchers, and scientists focusing on breast cancer research.  Dr. Anthony Koleske, grant recipient and member of the external review committee for research at Yale University, described the BCA as a vital catalyst that gives scientists the opportunities to discover new treatments for breast cancer, according to breastcanceralliance.org.

One in eight women in the United States will develop invasive breast cancer during her lifetime while the probability for a man to develop breast cancer is one in 833, according to breastcancer.org

Breast cancer screenings allow doctors to identify the disease in its early stages when it is most treatable, according to foxchase.org.  Mrs. Kerry Bader, Upper School Theology Teacher and Director of Community Service, believes it is important to spread awareness about breast cancer. 

Breast cancer is a disease that predominantly impacts women,” Mrs. Bader said.  “It is important for young girls to understand the importance of screening and regular medical care. It is also important that our students develop a skill set that enables them to be educated about and advocate on behalf of other women.”

The Breast Cancer alliance organization supports women fighting breast cancer.  Courtesy of Tyler Sizemore

To spread school-wide awareness, Sacred Heart raised money for organizations that provide support and resources for women.  At the Mother Daughter Liturgy October 20, the senior class and their mothers participated in a toiletry drive.  The donations went to the Phoenix House and Think Pink Foundation.  Senior Mary Hawthorn, Head of Community Service, discussed both organizations and described the ways that they assist women. 

“Phoenix House is a homeless shelter for women and children where day care is provided,” Mary said.  “This support enables women to participate in counseling sessions and job training, or pursue a career without having to worry about child care.  Additionally, Think Pink is a small organization supporting women in Stamford, Greenwich, and the surrounding area.  This organization provides hygiene items such as soap and lotion to women who have just undergone breast cancer surgery.  All of the donations we collect will help women at both of these organizations gain hygiene products they need and feel the support of the Sacred Heart community.”

Featured Image by Kelly Haggerty ’23