New lacrosse coaches bring expertise and gratitude to King Street

The+new+lacrosse+coaches+hope+to+grow+the+program+at+Sacred+Heart.+

Zara Black '23

The new lacrosse coaches hope to grow the program at Sacred Heart.

Sacred Heart Greenwich welcomes six new coaches to the Upper School lacrosse program for the 2022 spring season.  Mrs. Sharon Robinson, Mrs. Jackie Pierce, and Mrs. Stephanie Serino join the varsity A staff while Ms. Emma Rippon and Ms. Erin Snopkowski ’17 will coach varsity B.  Mr. Charles Petersen and Mr. Pierre de St. Croix are excited to begin their first season with the junior varsity (JV) team.  

Coach Robinson has played lacrosse her entire life.  She practiced in the male and female leagues of her hometown, Baltimore, Maryland.  After graduating from Yale University, where she played Division I (D1) lacrosse as a midfielder, she worked in finance for 13 years at Satellite Asset Management.  She then coached at Bronxville High School for 13 seasons alongside Coach Pierce and Coach Serino, winning seven sectional championships.  Coach Pierce and Coach Serino currently serve as Co-Directors of the Girls Program at Prime Time Lacrosse Club.  They played D1 lacrosse at Sacred Heart University and the University of Massachusetts Amherst, respectively.  Coach Pierce will work as co-head coach while Coach Serino will act as the assistant coach.  Each coach plans to bring their prior knowledge of the sport to the fields on King Street this season.  

Coach Robinson, Coach Pierce, and Coach Serino come together from Bronxville High School.  Courtesy of Sharron Robinson

“I am most excited to continue getting to know all the players and being able to build the program into something even stronger,” Coach Pierce said.  “We have a lot of girls who have really bought in this season to practicing hard, really being there for each other, and having fun. We have a very talented team and I cannot wait to watch our success.”

Coach Robinson is also the mother of Sacred Heart sophomore Kaitlin Robinson.  Kaitlin is grateful to have her mother join the Sacred Heart community as a lacrosse coach.  

“I think it is really special because I get to spend more time with her,” Kaitlin said.  “Lacrosse is the best part of my day so I am extra grateful to share that time with her too.”

Coach Rippon is a senior at Iona College, where she plays D1 lacrosse in the midfield and attack positions.  She is ready to bring her collegiate knowledge to Sacred Heart.  Coach Snopkowski currently works as a Communications Associate and was a member of the lacrosse team during her time at Sacred Heart.  She looks forward to assisting Coach Rippon this season and explained why returning to coach a team on King Street is meaningful for her.  

“My time on the Sacred Heart lacrosse team was definitely a highlight of my high school career,” Coach Snopkowski said.  “Not only did I grow so much as both a player and a person, but I also created lifelong relationships.  I am so excited to cultivate that same team culture and have great success this season.”

Coach Petersen poses with his D1 lacrosse teammates at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Albany.  Courtesy of Charles Petersen.

Coach Petersen has served the Sacred Heart community for 15 years as a Middle School Math Teacher and 7/8 B lacrosse coach.  For the 2022 season, he assumes the role of JV head coach with Coach de St. Croix as his assistant coach.  In addition to teaching Middle School science, Coach de St. Croix also guided varsity swimming this winter.  Coach Petersen commented on why he is excited to be coaching the Upper School this season.  

“Having coached exclusively at the MS level, I do not always get to see how people progress,” Coach Peterson said.  “I am super excited to reconnect with the student-athletes at this next level and to be a part of the US school program.”

The season’s motto for the whole lacrosse program this year is “We get to.”  In the wake of two modified seasons, lacrosse captains Franny O’Brien and Lauren Giuriceo devised this motto to remind the team that it is a privilege to play on the field.  All of the coaches believe that maintaining a positive attitude and working hard is crucial, especially in times of adversity.  Coach Robinson expresses the value of gratitude within the program.  

“The motto is very important to this team because it exemplifies many different things,” Coach Robinson said.  “The first is gratitude to be playing. After COVID-19, I think everybody appreciates every day.  It is also gratitude for each other.  Instead of coming to this temptation to complain, we are going to work and appreciate the opportunity to compete when we step onto the field.”

Featured Image by Zara Black ’23