Students honor their mothers at the Mother Daughter Liturgy 

The annual Mother Daughter Liturgy, a Sacred Heart Greenwich tradition, showcased the bonds between mothers and daughters in the school community.  At this year’s liturgy, held October 10, Sacred Heart students, along with network exchange students from Spain, honored both their mothers and mothers within the Greenwich community.  Mrs. Pamela Juan Hayes ’64, Head of School, received flowers to acknowledge her dedication to the school.  In addition, the sophomores, new juniors, and exchange students received Mater Medals.

The Upper School singing choir, the Madrigals, performing during the liturgy.  Dylan Drury ‘22

This year, Father Paul Murphy of Saint Thomas More in Darien, Connecticut, was the celebrant.  Before the liturgy, the Middle and Upper School community collected toiletries and diapers for Mothers for Others and Saint Joseph’s Parenting Center (SJPC).  Both of these organizations are in Greenwich, Connecticut and provide needed assistance to women and children who are struggling financially.

In 2011, a group of mothers founded Mothers for Others with the goal of helping families find somewhere to donate unwanted items to those who are in need and are unable to purchase these necessities.  At SJPC, their goal is to educate the parents of underprivileged children to create healthy parenting patterns.

Each year at the liturgy, a senior and her mother reflect on their relationship and memories whilst being a part of the Sacred Heart community.  This year, senior Elisa Howard and her mother, Mrs. Julianne Howard, shared sentiments regarding their moments spent together at Sacred Heart.

“A Sacred Heart education has reinforced the teachings of Mary,” Mrs. Howard said.  “I look to Mary as my guide while parenting Elisa.”

Mrs. Julianne Howard and Elisa Howard spoke at the liturgy about their memories and Sacred Heart’s role in their bond.  Courtesy of Rachel Zurheide

Along with having the liturgy as a special tradition for students, it is also a memorable day for the sophomores, new juniors, and any network exchange students present at the liturgy.  Every year, sophomores and new juniors to the school receive the Mater Admirabilis medals.

Father Paul Murphy blessed the medals, and Mrs. Hayes, and Mrs. Jenn Bensen P’10 H’15, Head of the Upper School, distributed them.  The Mater Medals that students receive symbolize the connection they will always have with Sacred Heart and the blessed Mother, Mater Admirabilis.

A Sacred Heart education has reinforced the teachings of Mary

— Mrs. Julianne Howard

Katie Keller ’20 and Mrs. Pam Keller ’88 honoring Mrs. Hayes ’64 during the closing remarks.  Dylan Drury ’22

During the closing remarks, lifers Katie Keller ’20 and her mother, Mrs. Pam Keller ’88 thanked Mrs. Hayes for her commitment to the school community.  Mrs. Keller specifically spoke of the profound influence that Mrs. Hayes had on her own education and her daughter’s experience at Sacred Heart.

Sophomore Clara Tamayo, a student at one of the Sacred Heart network schools, Colegio Santa María del Valle in Mairena del Aljarafe, Spain, attended the liturgy with her host, sophomore Lauren Giuriceo and her mother, Mrs. Won Giuriceo.  

“The liturgy was beautiful and I love that I could be here for it,” Clara said.  “At home in Sevilla, we have many masses as a school community, but none with our mothers.  I think it is extremely special that Sacred Heart Greenwich has a tradition like this.” 

Featured Image by Dylan Drury ’22