Ringing in the holidays with Come Home for Christmas

Sacred+Heart+Greenwich+kicks+off+the+holiday+season+with+the+sixth+annual+Come+Home+for+Christmas+festivities.+%0A+Sofia+Pye+21+

Sacred Heart Greenwich kicks off the holiday season with the sixth annual Come Home for Christmas festivities. Sofia Pye’ 21

Sacred Heart Greenwich began the holiday festivities with the sixth annual Come Home for Christmas December 6 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and December 8 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Friday night’s festivities included a DJ, dancing, gaming tables, a silent auction and raffles.  Sunday’s family-oriented events included a Liturgy, Christmas shopping, photos with Santa, and gingerbread house making.

The celebrations began Friday evening in the Mr. & Mrs. John P. Heffernan (June Dolce ’59) Lobby of the Athletic Center with a strolling dinner and festive cocktails.  The theme for the evening was Winter in the Alps.  Mrs. Helen Servick, co-Chair of Come Home for Christmas and mother of sophomore Delaney Servick and seventh-grader Beata Servick, shared the inspiration behind this year’s theme.

The Come Home for Christmas celebration welcomed a variety of boutiques, December 8.  Courtesy of Ms. Rachel Zurheide

“The Alps are beautiful, especially in the winter with the snow and beautiful trees, and we wanted to incorporate that beauty into Sacred Heart,” Mrs. Servick said.

Friday night’s holiday events contributed to the professional development fund at Sacred Heart.  The fund allows Sacred Heart faculty members to attend enriching professional development courses and conferences.

In addition, there were live performances from the Sacred Heart Upper School choir, The Madrigals.  Many Upper School students also assisted with raffle tickets and parent donations.

Senior Taylor O’Meara volunteered at Come Home for Christmas because she believes that it is a great Sacred Heart tradition.

“I volunteered at Come Home for Christmas because I really liked how the proceeds from Come Home for Christmas went toward the Faculty and Staff Professional Development Fund and knew that the event was something I would want to be a part of,” Taylor said.  “I think the event is a great tradition that Sacred Heart has and I wanted to be a part of it before I graduate from Sacred Heart.”

The Come Home for Christmas Committee, composed of Sacred Heart parents and alumnae, first met to plan the annual event in June.  Extensive planning for the event began in August to ensure an entertaining night for all in attendance.  Mrs. Servick remarked on the wonderful success of the evening.

“It was a terrific night, and we had a turnout of almost 300 people,” Mrs. Servick said.  “It was a great mix of faculty, staff, parents, and alumnae, and we are thankful that we can help to support the professional development fund at Sacred Heart Greenwich.”

Isobel Cunningham ’22 volunteers at the Come Home for Christmas gingerbread house station.  Courtesy of Emma Denson ’22

Open to the public, Sunday, December 8 consisted of a Mass, brunch, and a stroll through a variety of holiday boutiques from 40 vendors.  Attendees had the opportunity to take photos with Santa, shop in Santa’s secret shop, and make Gingerbread houses with Upper School volunteers.

Sophomore Isobel Cunningham guided many students and families in attendance at the gingerbread house making station.

“I really enjoyed volunteering as I love to help the younger members of our community,” Isobel said.  “It was a great experience to meet many younger Sacred Heart students, but also children and families from outside of the Sacred Heart community.”

Featured Image by Sofia Pye ’21