Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
Nina Ferrucci ’21 shared this recipe for Moist Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes.
- One cup of all-purpose flour
- One cup of sugar
- Six tablespoons of Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- One-half of a teaspoon of salt
- One large egg
- One-half of a cup of buttermilk
- One-half of a cup of vegetable oil
- Three-fourths of a teaspoon of vanilla
- One-half of a cup of hot water
- One and one-fourth of a cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- Twelve ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Three tablespoons of Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
- Five cups of powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Four to five tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
1) Preheat oven to 300°F and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
2) Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk them together. Set aside.
3) Combine egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla in another medium-sized bowl.
4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
5) Add the water to the batter and mix until well combined. The batter will be thin.
6) Fill the cupcake liners about halfway and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
7) Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for two minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
8) To make the frosting, beat the butter in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
9) Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
10) Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
11) Add about half of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and mix until well combined.
12) Add remaining powdered sugar and salt and mix until smooth.
13) Add remaining heavy cream as needed to get the right consistency of frosting.
14) Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
“This recipe comes from my favorite baking website, lifeloveandsugar.com, which I really love because it has a wide variety of recipes to choose from. I have made this particular recipe multiple times for different occasions. Once I donated some to Don Bosco’s, and I also made them for a friend’s party. Both times I got very positive feedback,” Nina said. “My favorite part of the cupcakes it the cake itself because it’s very moist. I love to see how my cupcakes make people smile, especially with this recipe.”
Featured Image Courtesy of lifeloveandsugar.com