For the second year in a row, senior Nina Ferrucci shares her favorite Christmas cupcake recipe.
- One and two-thirds cups of all-purpose flour
- One cup of packed brown sugar
- One-fourth teaspoon of baking soda
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- One and one-half teaspoons of ground ginger
- One and one-half teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- One-eighth teaspoon of ground cloves
- Three-fourths cup of salted butter, room temperature
- One egg and one egg white
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- One-half cup of molasses
- One-fourth cup of sour cream
- One-half cup of milk
CARAMEL MOLASSES CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- One cup of butter
- One-half cup of brown sugar
- Four ounces of cream cheese
- Four to five cups of powdered sugar
- Two tablespoons of molasses
- One to two tablespoons of milk or water, if needed
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Whisk together all dry ingredients (everything before the butter) in a large mixing bowl.
3) Add the remaining ingredients and mix on medium speed just until smooth. Do not over mix.
4) Fill cupcake liners about halfway.
5) Bake for 18-20 minutes.
6) Allow to cool for one to two minutes. Then, move to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
1) Place one-half cup of butter and brown sugar into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each interval, until the sugar is mostly dissolved, about three minutes. It will boil and bubble up. Set caramel aside to cool.
2) Mix the remaining one-half cup of butter and cream cheese until smooth.
3) Add three cups powdered sugar and one tablespoon of milk or water to the butter mixture and beat until smooth.
4) Pour caramel into icing and mix until smooth.
5) Add another one to two cups of powdered sugar.
6) Add molasses and milk or water, if needed, to reach desired icing consistency.
Featured Image Courtesy of Nina Ferrucci ’21