Spring break on-campus training prepares athletes for the upcoming season

Ms. Elizabeth Dennison

Sacred Heart Greenwich spring sport athletes anticipate the the upcoming season.

The six Sacred Heart Greenwich spring sports teams gathered at the school’s campus March 23 to 27 for their annual spring break training week.  Despite the difference in this year’s format, the Sacred Heart golf, tennis, lacrosse, track and field, rowing, and water polo teams prepared for their upcoming season through bonding activities, practices, and strength and conditioning training.

All spring sports teams traveled to Chelsea Piers for a day to train for the upcoming season.  Courtesy of Ms. Elizabeth Dennison

Typically, Sacred Heart spring sport athletes travel to Florida during the second week of the school’s spring break to commence their season, where they would practice, scrimmage against other teams, and participate in guided training.  The week-long training involved the strengthening of physical and mental fitness, in addition to leadership and nutrition sessions.  Although spring break training looked different this year for the athletes, the Sacred Heart Athletic Department worked to replicate a similar experience during their training sessions this year. 

In compliance with state protocols, athletes had to test negative for COVID-19 March 22 before beginning their training.  After this, players were able to start training March 23 on campus, at the Joan Magnetti, RSCJ Turf Field, the tennis courts, or in the pool.  In addition to the training sessions on the Sacred Heart campus, the athletes traveled to Chelsea Piers in Stamford, Connecticut March 25, where they participated in team practices and team bonding activities.

Before the practices, the coaches of the lacrosse teams organized activities to bond the team, such as a scavenger hunt and an Easter egg hunt.  The varsity A and varsity B lacrosse teams also scrimmaged against The Taft School March 27.

Senior Rachel Keefe, co-captain of the varsity A lacrosse team, is thrilled to be able to lead her team into another successful season.  Through drills and games, the athletes bonded as a team in anticipation of the upcoming season, while also building their individual strength and agility.

“I am really looking forward to being able to play against other competitive teams in the area,” Rachel said.  “We have some great games on our schedule, and I am excited to see how our team matches against them.  Even though we have some restrictions on our training due to COVID, I think these challenges have only shown us how strong and special our team chemistry continues to be.”

The lacrosse program participated in drills and scrimmaged The Taft School for their spring break training.  Courtesy of Ms. Elizabeth Dennison

The tennis team focused on how to master their positioning in doubles by practicing with different partners each day.  The players worked on serving techniques, and bonded with their teammates through activities at Chelsea Piers.  Senior Grace Coale enjoyed her time with the rest of the tennis team at Chelsea Piers and looks forward to competing against other schools this season.

“This week has been great, we were able to have some fun practices at school and the team had an amazing day at Chelsea Piers,” Grace said.  “Everyone is excited about what this season holds and grateful for the opportunity to compete again.  I’m also looking forward to starting some new traditions this year that should be fun for the team.”

Junior Megan Maloney shared her excitement for the upcoming season as she anticipates getting back on the water with her rowing team.

“Being on the water is such a wonderful feeling, and it boosts the team morale so much, Megan said.  “Unlike this past fall, the spring season will allow us to go out on the water almost everyday, which is something that we have not experienced in so long.”

Featured Image by Ms. Elizabeth Dennison