Mrs. Ana Nystedt encourages scientific innovation and exploration

Maddie Hooper '24

Mrs. Nystedt encourages students to explore the field of computer science.

Mrs. Ana Nystedt, Upper School Computer Science Teacher and Coordinator of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Space Station Explorer, encourages innovation and growth in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) programs at Sacred Heart Greenwich.  She is also the coach of the robotics team, where she prompts interested students to explore computer science through mechanical elements and physical computing.  Through exposing students to computer science, Mrs. Nystedt endeavors to teach them the importance of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the modern world.

Mrs. Nystedt helps a student with coding.  Courtesy of Sacred Heart Communications Dept.

Mrs. Nystedt became interested in computer science and education when she was in eighth grade.  After she took her first computer science course, she developed a fascination with computers. She was especially interested in the way a computer’s software, or programs, interact with its hardware, or the physical components of a computer.  Her interest in AI lead her to work in the Sacred Heart Science Department.

“I got interested in computer science when I was in eighth grade and took my first computer science course,” Mrs. Nystedt said.  “This curiosity has not left me since, as there is always more to learn in this fast-moving field.”

Mrs. Nystedt recognizes the vital role AI now plays in many professions.  She views education, whether in computer science or in other courses, as a way to empower younger generations and prepare them to be future world leaders.

“My hope is to plant a seed in our students to continue learning computer science in college and through their lifelong journey,” Mrs. Nystedt said.

Mrs. Nystedt coaches the robotics team as well as teaches robotics classes.  Courtesy of Sacred Heart Communications Dept.

As coach of the robotics team, Mrs. Nystedt shares her passion for computer science with students.  She often stresses to team members that although computers come in many different shapes and sizes, they all contain the same digital elements.  Robotics also provides another opportunity for students to enhance their programming skills.

“I feel privileged to coach the robotics team and expose students to another way of using computer science,” Mrs. Nystedt said.

As AI becomes more relevant in the modern world, Mrs. Nystedt aims to have open conversations with her students about the importance of computer science knowledge.  She believes that people must understand computer science in order to become informed members of society.

“My motto is ‘program or be programmed.’  I aim to communicate to my students that computer science is not an optional skill to have, it is required knowledge to participate in all aspects of society in an informed way,” Mrs. Nystedt said.  “Similar to learning sports, musical instruments, or acting, perseverance is a necessary element to succeed in STEM.”

Featured Image by Maddie Hooper ’24