Patience and endurance are king in Chess Club

Chess+Club+teaches+Upper+Schoolers%2C+and+soon+Lower+Schoolers%2C+to+become+more+flexible+thinkers.+

Ana López del Punta '23

Chess Club teaches Upper Schoolers, and soon Lower Schoolers, to become more flexible thinkers.

As the clock starts, a student picks up her white pawn and envisions her strategy while considering how her opponent will react.  Members of Sacred Heart Greenwich’s Chess Club meet to enhance their mental endurance, patience, and foresight every Day 2, Day 6, and Wednesday.  Co-Heads of Chess Club Daphne Hartch and Annie Cornell highlighted how the many possibilities in forming new chess plays has taught them to be more patient and determined individuals.

Under the guidance of Mr. Kevin King, Upper School History Teacher, Daphne introduced Chess Club to the Upper School in the 2021-2022 academic year.  During the mornings of Day 2, afternoons of Day 6, and GOALS time on Wednesdays, Mr. King, Daphne, and Annie teach new club members the rules of the game and more advanced players different openings and strategies.

Originally from India, chess consists of 32 pieces, 16 of which belong to each player.  Opponents play on a black-and-white square chessboard, which has eight rows and eight columns.  The objective of the game is to put the opponent’s king piece into checkmate–in other words, when the king cannot escape, according to The New York Times

Students practice playing a timed game.  Ana López del Punta ’23

Once students understand the rules of the game and how the different pieces move, they practice against each other.  Recently, Chess Club earned first place in its first interscholastic competition January 21.  Students of Sacred Heart are currently practicing to compete against Iona Preparatory School in February and are planning an in-school tournament for the spring.  Due to the club’s success, Upper Schoolers intend to teach Lower Schoolers how to play chess starting February 23 during lunchtime. 

This year, Chess Club has 43 participants.  Daphne remarked that, because of its many members, the club provides an opportunity for players with different personalities and tactics to learn from each other.  All these students, then, contribute to a unique and dynamic environment. 

“It is nice to walk around the room and see different games happening,”  Daphne said.  “Some people will be really quiet and some people will be laughing while they’re moving.  You can find whatever you want in the Chess Club because if you want to have a really serious game you can spend a lot of time deliberating on each move, or if you want you can do what we call a blitz game, which is one minute on the timer.” 

Annie emphasized that chess is not only a means of entertainment, but a way for her to enhance her love of learning.  Through playing chess these past two years, Annie has increased her ability to focus for a long period of time. 

Annie teaches another student how each chess piece moves.  Ana López del Punta ’23

“Chess has taught me the importance of focus, determination, flexibility, and innovation,” Annie said.  “It’s easy to get nervous or frustrated when a game isn’t going your way, but I’ve learned to take a deep breath, to evaluate my position, and to try to make something out of nothing.  Even if you aren’t in a winning position, you can’t give up.  You have to do your best, and keep going.”

Daphne learned to play chess in Lower School at Greenwich Country Day School.  As she grew up, she continued to develop her abilities by playing against her grandfather.  

Through chess, Daphne has become a more patient individual who endeavors to make meaningful, prudent decisions.  One of the characteristics she values most of chess is that everyone has equal opportunities of winning. 

“Chess is a test of mental endurance,” Daphne said.  “Some people say they get really tired after playing a game of chess, and, to an extent, I agree, but I also find it a little invigorating because you’re giving your mind a task to work on.  It is also nice to know it is just your mind and someone else’s mind.  You just get these pieces and there is so much potential for all the moves you can do.  No one has an advantage.”

Featured Image by Ana López del Punta ’23