Fall sports close out the season with honor, heart, and hustle

Fall+sports+returned+to+full+play+and+competition+this+season.+

Helena Randolph '24

Fall sports returned to full play and competition this season.

Sacred Heart Greenwich fall sports teams returned to competition in the Fairchester Athletic Association (FAA) and the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) leagues following a year of coronavirus-induced playing restrictions.  The field hockey, soccer, cross country, rowing, and volleyball teams engaged in a competitive fall season.

In the 2020 fall season, coronavirus restrictions resulted in tournament cancellations and games without spectators.  Sacred Heart followed safety guidelines while hosting various game days and scrimmages against other schools during the 2021 season.

The varsity A field hockey team, under the leadership of senior co-captains Caroline Nemec and Erin Griffin, were the FAA regular-season champions.  The team defeated their rival school Greenwich Academy 3-1 October 23, and again 2-0 to win the FAA tournament November 13.  In their matches against Rye Country Day School and Greenwich Country Day School, the field hockey team defeated both schools with final scores of 7-0.  The Sacred Heart field hockey team also competed in the Max Field Hockey High School National Invitational in Pennsylvania this September, playing against some of the highest-ranked teams in the United States.  The field hockey team will proceed to play in the NEPSAC Class A Tournament, defending the Sacred Heart’s 2019 win.

Delfina Gonzalez Lobo ’23 advances the ball up the field. Courtesy of Sacred Heart Greenwich Communications Dept.

Senior co-captains Lauren Giuriceo, Chelsea Hyland, and Charlotte Marvin led the varsity soccer team and ended the season with an 8-8-2 record representing their wins, losses, and ties.  For the first time in Sacred Heart history, the varsity soccer team defeated Miss Porter’s School 2-1 October 23.  The season concluded with a one-point loss in overtime against Rye Country Day School during the FAA Tournament Quarterfinals Monday, November 8.

Senior co-captains, Lucy Catalano and Jules Ingram along with sophomore co-captain Emilia Bernal led the varsity volleyball team through a successful season.  On their senior day, the team swept Hotchkiss School, winning 3-0, October 30.  The varsity volleyball team competed against St. Luke’s, losing their final game 1-3 in the FAA Tournament Quarterfinals.  Jules offered her insight into her role as captain on the team.

Elisa Taylor ’22 serves the volleyball over the net in a match. Courtesy of Sacred Heart Greenwich Communications Dept.

I always tell everyone that it is such an honor to be a captain of this team,” Jules said.  “The girls are insanely talented and have so much passion for the sport.  It has been such a great season and I could not ask for a better team.”

The cross country team placed second at the Wilton Invitational as well as the Canterbury Invitational with co-captains Olivia Berkery and Mary Hawthorn.  The team came in second place in the FAA Cross Country Championships in Sherwood Island, Connecticut.  Sophomore Ava Lillis individually placed second at the FAA Cross Country Championships. 

The rowing team traveled to the Head of the Charles Regatta October 23, placing 61 out of 84 boats.  Senior co-captains Rachel Lherisson, Megan Maloney, and Gabrielle Lauria, junior Jackie Franco, and sophomore Caroline Maloney raced in the regatta.  The alternate rowers were sophomores Olivia Ritossa and Sophia Sigro, and junior Isabella Leao served as the alternate coxswain.  Rachel reflected on the fall rowing season.

“The highlight of our fall season was being able to go back to regattas and having a competitive season again,” Rachel said.  “There was a lot of team bonding which we did not have last year because there was not a competitive season.  Being able to race again and the community building that racing brought along was a big part of the season.”

During the 2020 fall season, the rowing team trained and participated in scrimmages.  Rachel discussed the team’s growth and positive energy this season after the previous season of COVID-19 restrictions. 

“We became closer this season because we were able to have more team bonding experiences such as team dinners, more practice time, and of course, the competitive season,” Rachel said.  “Being with the team more frequently allowed us to grow as a team because we were with each other more.  There were fewer restrictions on practices and on the races we traveled to.”

Featured Image by Helena Randolph ’24