Honoring 22 years of service on King Street

The+Sacred+Heart+community+celebrates+Mr.+Robert+Allisons+22+years+at+Sacred+Heart+Greenwich.+

Olivia Caponiti '23

The Sacred Heart community celebrates Mr. Robert Allison’s 22 years at Sacred Heart Greenwich.

Mr. Robert Allison joined the Sacred Heart Greenwich community as Facilities Coordinator in 1999.  He retired from his position with numerous accomplishments, a lasting legacy, and the admiration of many in December 2021.  Alumna Ms. Grace Sutherland ’16, senior Charlotte Fallon, and junior Maddy Ball reflected on Mr. Allison’s impact on the school community through his hard work and gracious personality.  

Mr. Allison directed the school bus drop-off and pick-up processes, set up for school events, and repaired facilities around campus.  Members of the faculty, staff, and student body know him for his hardworking character and persistent dedication to the school.  They admire his kind heart and the thoughtful manner in which he conducted himself in the halls.  Mr. Allison always wore a smile and engaged in conversation with everyone he came across, according to students and faculty.  Ms. Sutherland commented on her relationship with Mr. Allison as a lifer at Sacred Heart.  

Mr. Allison spends time with his colleagues.  Courtesy of Sacred Heart Greenwich Communications Dept.

“I met Mr. Allison when I was in Lower School,” Ms. Sutherland said.  “As I became a regular at the bus loop, Mr. Allison soon became Bobby to me.  A friendly, welcoming face greeted me every morning and sent me home every afternoon.  I was lucky enough to not only spend 15 years at 1177 King Street but to develop a deep friendship [with] and respect for a man like Mr. Allison.”  

Along with his role as Facilities Coordinator, Mr. Allison spent time serving the broader community.  He played a pivotal role in establishing the school’s Midnight Run and Breakfast Run programs.  He drove the bus to bring clothes, food, toiletries, and coffee to those in need in New York City, New York with groups of students.  In addition, he had connections with parishes around the city and encourages students to attend mass after the food runs.  He embodied Goal Four of Sacred Heart’s Goals and Criteria, “the building of community as a Christian value,” according to students and faculty.  Maddy noted Mr. Allison’s innate desire to help anyone he came across.  

“Throughout my 14 years here at Sacred Heart, I have come to know Mr. Allison as a kind, hardworking, and selfless individual,” Maddy said.  “He never fails to lend a helping hand to anybody who needs it, even if it means stopping in the middle of what he is doing.  I have seen Mr. Allison serve communities for so long and his dedication truly amazes me.”

Prior to working on King Street, Mr. Allison served as the Activity Director at The Osborn, a retirement community in New York.  He planned events and helped the elderly with their needs.  Through his career paths, it is clear that Mr. Allison’s priorities have always been helping others and bringing joy to those around him.  

The Sacred Heart community will cherish Mr. Allison’s impact.  Ms. Sutherland spoke about his transformative effect on the school community.  

Students and faculty bless Mr. Allison’s future at his final liturgy as a staff member.  Courtesy of Sacred Heart Greenwich Communications Dept.

“Although I graduated nearly six years ago, Mr. Allison resonates as one of my favorite, most memorable, and transformative members of our community,” Ms. Sutherland said.  “People like Bobby are few and far between.  He genuinely loves what he does and loves his Sacred Heart girls.  The community is losing a major piece of its puzzle, but I have a feeling Mr. Allison will return to the halls.  We are so grateful for you Bobby and am lucky to have known someone like you.”  

Charlotte admires Mr. Allison’s dedication to the school and generous personality.  She wishes him the best as he commences this new chapter of his life.  

“Mr. Allison worked so hard in his 22 years at Sacred Heart and always made students feel so welcomed in the community,” Charlotte said.  “We will miss him so much, but wish him congratulations on retirement and happiness in the new chapter of his life.”

Featured Image by Olivia Caponiti ’23