From King Street to college, seniors continue their athletic careers

Kelly Haggerty '23

Ten seniors continue their athletic careers at their respective colleges.

Ten seniors will transition from the Fairchester Athletic Association (FAA) to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) as they continue their respective sports in college.  Bella Adams, Lauren Giuriceo, Justine Hounsell, Chelsea Hyland, Libby Kaseta, Caroline Nemec, Franny O’Brien, and Annie O’Connor will all further their education and athletics at Division I (DI) and Division III (DIII) institutions.  They each reflected on how the Sacred Heart Greenwich athletic program has prepared them for collegiate competition. 

Annie, Franny, and Lauren will continue playing lacrosse next year.  All three seniors have played together on the varsity lacrosse team for the past four years and have contributed to the team’s success. 

Franny signs her National Letter of Intent to play lacrosse at the University of Notre Dame.  Courtesy of Sacred Heart Communications Dept.

Annie will join the Brown University women’s lacrosse team, which stands fifth overall in the Ivy League, according to ivyleague.com.  Lauren, co-captain of the varsity lacrosse team, will continue her studies and athletics at Middlebury College.  Their women’s lacrosse team currently holds an undefeated record and ranks first in the NCAA DIII rankings, according to ncaa.com.   

Next year, Franny, co-captain of the varsity lacrosse team, will play lacrosse at the University of Notre Dame.  The women’s lacrosse team ranks seventeenth overall in the DI NCAA rankings, according to ncaa.com.   Franny shared why she chose to be a student-athlete at Notre Dame.

“I chose Notre Dame because of the incredible opportunities for student-athletes and because it is an amazing school academically and athletically,” Franny said.  “They hold their student-athletes to high academic standards and high athletic standards.  I am so lucky to have had such amazing teammates that I learn from every day and to have had such knowledgeable coaches throughout my experience.  I am especially grateful for the love of the game that Sacred Heart Lacrosse instilled in me.  I know I truly would not be playing DI lacrosse next year without the support of this program throughout my years here.” 

Chelsea will play on the women’s soccer team at Washington and Lee University this upcoming fall.  Chelsea served as co-captain of the varsity soccer team for the 2021 season.  Washington and Lee finished their most recent season with a 13-3-2 record and currently ranks seventh in their region, according to ncaa.com

Bella will attend Iona College, where she will play on the women’s water polo team.  Iona holds an overall record of 16-15 and a rank of sixth in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC), according to maacsports.com Bella reflected on how Sacred Heart has equipped her for the next four years and why she decided to continue playing water polo at Iona. 

“I chose Iona because I really liked the team and coaches, I also liked the feel of the campus and the academic programs they offer,” Bella said. “Sacred Heart has prepared me to succeed academically in college by teaching me critical thinking skills as well as many other academic skills. And Sacred Heart Water Polo has taught me the importance of teamwork and dedication to my team along with the skillset to balance my athletics and academic work.” 

The two co-captains of the varsity field hockey team, Erin and Caroline, will both play women’s field hockey competitively next year.  Both seniors helped the varsity field hockey team win a New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) regular-season championship this past season.

Kate will attend the College of the Holy Cross this fall and play on the women’s golf team.  Courtesy of Sacred Heart Communications Dept.

Caroline chose the University of Virginia (UVA) to continue her field hockey and academic career.  With a record of 12-9 in their 2021 season, UVA ranks nineteenth in the NCAA, according to ncca.com.  Erin will attend the College of William and Mary this fall.  At the end of their 2021 season, William and Mary ranked fourth in the Colonial Athletic Association(CAA), according to caasports.com.

Libby will continue her rowing career at Bucknell University this upcoming fall.  Libby commented on why she chose Bucknell and how the opportunities at Sacred Heart will help her be successful in college.

“I chose Bucknell because I knew it would be the best place for me personally to further both my love of the sport of rowing on a D1 level and my academic career,” Libby said.  “After six years at Sacred Heart, I am confident in who I am as a person inside and outside of the classroom.  I am enthusiastic about the next four years of my life at Bucknell, and I am excited to grow even more as both an athlete and as a student.  Sacred Heart is similar to Bucknell in a lot of ways, as both schools are both very community-oriented, and even though I am extremely sad about leaving Sacred Heart, I know that it will always be a part of who I am.”

Kate, golf co-captain, chose the College of the Holy Cross to pursue her academic and athletic aspirations.  Kate led the varsity golf team to a second-place finish in the Pippy O’Connor Golf Tournament while individually placing fourth out of 94 participants.

Justine, a varsity track and field team member, decided to continue her studies and athletics at Cornell University this upcoming fall.  Cornell track and field holds a ranking of sixth in the Ivy League, with a record of 8-12, according to ivyleague.com.  Justine commented on how the tight-knit community at Sacred Heart has shaped her into a dedicated teammate.

“Sacred Heart has taught me what it means to make your team your family,” Justine said.  “What I will always cherish about Sacred Heart are the connections I have made with my teammates from all grades.  While track can be very challenging, mentally and physically, I have learned the strength and importance of community and hope to carry those same values over to Cornell.”

Featured Image by Kelly Haggerty ’23