KSC Alumna Spotlight – Ms. Natalie Dosmond ’21

Ms. Natalie Dosmond ’21 served as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the King Street Chronicle during her senior year at Sacred Heart Greenwich.  While on King Street, she also acted as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Sacred Heart Yearbook, Green Years, Co-Editor-in-Chief of Voices, the Sacred Heart Greenwich World Languages magazine, and Corporate Relations Manager for the Operation Med School team.  Now a sophomore at Northwestern University, Ms. Dosmond is double majoring in Cognitive Science and Global Health Studies.

What is the most important skill you learned during your time on the KSC Staff?

“Although there were many technical skills I gained during my time on the KSC Staff, such as producing multimedia content, editing articles, and, of course, writing journalistically, the most important skill I learned during my time on the KSC Staff is one that is less tangible: collaboration.  Through my various roles on the KSC Staff, I experienced everything from being a brand new member to being a leader of a team, enabling me to realize the power of collaboration to create the best outcome in an efficient manner.  Collaboration also necessitates open communication, and I learned how important it is to delegate tasks as everyone brings something new to the table.  Each individual is a vital member of the team and working together in a way that highlights each person’s strengths, but also challenges them to work on areas of weakness, is crucial in having a successful team.  I have continued to use this ability to collaborate in all facets of my life after my time on the KSC, and I am sure I will continue to do so.”

How have you continued your interest in journalism after graduating from Sacred Heart?

“Although I have primarily been pursuing other interests in my college career thus far, I took a class at Northwestern titled “The Press and the Political Process.”  This class was taught by a renowned broadcast journalist, and I was able to use many of the writing skills I learned at the KSC when writing op-eds for the class.  My interest in writing journalistically has followed me as I pursue more science-based classes, aiding me in writing succinctly and accurately, rather than in a more analytical style.  In the future, I hope to take more classes in Northwestern’s Journalism School and to engage in one of the many publications on campus.”

What piece of advice would you give to current and future KSC Staff? 

“A piece of advice I would give to current and future KSC Staff would be to dedicate yourself to the KSC and to make the most of your time on the staff.  This will truly open up a multitude of doors in the future, including useful guidance and numerous skills.  The experience I gained from three years on the KSC Staff is unparalleled, whether that be in terms of how I pursue my current academic, extracurricular, and career endeavors, or simply how I communicate with others and operate in group settings.  Although it may seem uncomfortable to reach out to adults for interviews or to suggest a different angle for an article, pushing yourself to do so will build the foundation for vital skills.  Take advantage of the chance to hone in on these skills at this point in your life as there are few activities in high school that will allow you access to the same level of experience.  It is certain that the more you put into the KSC, the more you get out of it, so I would strongly advise to seize this opportunity to be a part of a student-led publication and see where it takes you.”

The King Street Chronicle thanks Ms. Natalie Dosmond ’21, former Co-Editor-in-Chief, for her contributions.