King Street Chronicle

KSC Alumna Spotlight – Ms. Karina Badey ’19

Ms. Karina Badey ’19 served as both Co-Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor of the King Street Chronicle during her senior year on staff.  Previously, she worked as Arts & Entertainment Editor, cementing the “Guide to Greenwich” column as an integral aspect of this section and introducing athletic live streaming as a crucial multimedia element of the KSC.  In addition to her coursework at Sacred Heart Greenwich, she completed a summer seminar in “Pop Music as Art and Business” at the School of The New York Times.  Now a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Ms. Badey is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication with two certificates in Digital Studies and Sports Communication.

What is the most important skill that you learned during your time on the KSC Staff?

“The most important skill I learned during my time on the KSC Staff was how to be a strong collaborator.  The KSC thrives and depends on collaboration—each individual staff member plays a vital role in making the paper as great as it is, and when everyone works together and communicates effectively, the newsroom flourishes.  Specifically, when I served as Co-Editor-in-Chief my senior year, I had the most hands-on experience with all the staff members and I realized how important it is to emphasize the importance of teamwork.  I have brought these skills from the KSC with me to college, and I have continuously found success in group environments.”

How have you continued your interest in journalism after graduating from Sacred Heart?

“I currently study Strategic Communication in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  The KSC was the driving factor that sparked my interest in Journalism and Communications studies.  I have also been doing PR for a UW-Madison student-run newspaper, The Badger Herald.  After learning more about the Mass Communications industry over the last three years of college, I am hoping to peruse a career after college in creative broadcast production.”

What piece of advice would you give to the current and future KSC Staff?

“One piece of advice I would give to the current and future KSC Staff is to get involved as much as possible.  There are so many ways to learn through the KSC beyond article writing, like podcasting, live streaming, and video production.  Trying new things will help you get to know what you love and do not love.  It is important to step out of your comfort zone—the KSC is a strongly supportive environment, and this is the best time to practice and learn knowing that you have a room full of people who have your back.  Especially, if you want to pursue a career in Journalism and Communications, being skillful in the different media facets the KSC produces will be a huge advantage after leaving Sacred Heart.  Also, do not be afraid to bring something new to the table.  When I was on the KSC Staff a student came to class with the idea to live stream sporting events and it took off.  The media landscape is always evolving, and everyone has the opportunity and ability to make a lasting mark on the KSC.”

The King Street Chronicle thanks Ms. Karina Badey ’19, former Co-Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor, for her contributions.