KSC Alumna Spotlight – Ms. Sofia Pye ’21

Ms. Sofia Pye ’21 served as the News and Arts and Entertainment Content Editor and Social Media Manager during her last year in the Staff of the King Street Chronicle.  Now a sophomore at Syracuse University, Ms. Pye is part of the S.I Newhouse School of Public Communications.  She continues to explore her interest in journalism as a member of the social media and production team for Fetch Collective, a campus newspaper.

What is the most important skill you learned during your time on the KSC Staff?

“Collaboration is definitely an important skill to have when writing for any newspaper.  Being able to work well with others allows for a more successful outcome, and that is something that I have had to carry over into my college career.  Communicating well and organizing my work appropriately has helped me tremendously during my time at the KSC.”

How have you continued your interest in journalism after graduating from Sacred Heart?

“Studying Television, Radio, and Film at Newhouse has given me access to an abundance of journalistic opportunities outside the classroom.  I am able to continue my interest in writing through a campus newspaper called the Fetch Collective where I am a part of the production team.  Here, I create decks to pitch ideas for upcoming projects and get to help behind the scenes for different shoots.”

What piece of advice would you give to current and future KSC Staff? 

“I absolutely loved my time at the KSC.  It truly has taught me so much about writing and what the journalism field has to offer.  Spending three years on the staff has allowed me to pursue different avenues within the field, such as writing, producing video content, and managing social media accounts.  My biggest piece of advice would be to try it all.  I came in my sophomore year not knowing what exactly it was that I wanted to pursue, but by taking advantage of all the opportunities the KSC had to offer me, I was able to figure out what it is that I wanted to do.  And after graduating from Sacred Heart Greenwich, this is exactly what I am doing.  Because I allowed myself to be flexible, I now have a better sense of what it is I want to pursue during my time at Syracuse.”

The King Street Chronicle thanks Ms. Sofia Pye ’21, former News and Arts and Entertainment Content Editor and Social Media Manager, for her contributions.